Milwards Featherlite's Test Curves/Capabilities.

The Milwards Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Milwards Featherlite's Test Curves/Capabilities.

Post by AshbyCut »

I posted the below in another thread in an attempt to answer a question ... whether these rods would be able to handle a 5 pound chub accidentally hooked on a small river.

This was the best I could come up with ... anyone's comments would be welcome.

"I attempted to find the test curve of these rods by suspending weights, measured by a digital scale, from the tip of each rod.

In all three cases, they returned a figure of around 11 oz ... leading me to suspect that Milward's were aiming at a test curve of 3/4 lb.

Working on the idea that line bs (breaking strain) relates to test curve by 5 times as a standard, 6 times for a maximum, and 4 times for a minimum ... this would return these results :-

Line rating for 11 oz curve :-

Minimum = 2.75lb
Standard = 3.43lb
Maximum = 4.12lb
(for a 3/4lb curve they would be 2.8lb/3.75lb/4.5lb)

As was pointed out in one of the posts in the threads I attached:-

'What the book actually says is: "Note.- The "Matchmaster" and "Featherlite" above are designed FOR CONTEST FISHING IN THE U.K. AND MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY FORM OF HEAVY FISHING.'

All I can say is that the 10 1/2 footer was coping with the jack pike as in the picture (below) ... even while I was fumbling for the camera ... I estimated that at around 4lbs and am sure I would have netted it if it hadn't let go when it saw the net ... but that was in still water. I suspect that the rods would be able to cope with a 5lb in a reasonable flow if you hooked one by chance, but I wouldn't be recommending actually targeting quarry of that size as a norm. As rods to target roach/dace/rudd I think they are ideal.

HOWEVER ... please get the opinion of others more experienced than I in moving water fishing.

TFF'ers All ... your opinions are sought, please.

Looking forward to hearing the comments of anyone who would like to chip in."

[url=http://s652.photobucket.com/user/vumphm ... a.jpg.html]Image[/url
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”