'How to Catch Them' Series

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: 'How to Catch Them' Series

Post by AshbyCut »

As I understand it Olly, Sir, Abe Books is like an agency ... advertising books from many, many booksellers ... not a book seller itself ... so you don't just get a price from one source, but many.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Even though a book or any other collectable item may be hard to find.Condition is all important to command the top reward.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Exactly AshbyCut - to find a book I use www.usedbooksearch.co.uk - it can either be the UK or World wide. Albris, Abe, Barnes & Noble, Biblio, Smiths to name but a few booksellers.

Prices vary enormously between sellers - Coch-y-bonddu books are not the cheapest but have both a huge range and many in excellent condition - ie good VFM.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Olly wrote:Coch-y-bonddu books are not the cheapest but have both a huge range and many in excellent condition - ie good VFM.
Just from my own experience ... not only that but also superb service, and the best packaged books I ever received. Plug over.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Prince of Durham wrote:I got the roach and the eel books the other week, I should never have started.

I feel your pain PofD!!!
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Here is a picture of my book as requested P5, I have also shown the inner dust jacket where the price is, 6s ( six shillings ). I made a start on this lovely little book last night and right from the start my thoughts were.. this book was written for me. Peter says this book is for the chap who carries nothing in the way of bait but a tin of worms or maggots, a bit of bread, and a little groundbait. I also like the fact that this little book is full of words and advice with just the minimum of line drawings, very readable. As regards valuation the book is only worth what the purchaser is prepared to pay, I realise that, and I have paid very little for valuable items through being in the right place at the right time. I have also paid well over the top for items I could not be without in my collecting fields. You either buy an item or you walk away, you have that choice.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Ooooow. It's like looking at the Dead Sea scrolls!
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

ImAllStokedUp
Gudgeon

Post by ImAllStokedUp »

Tyke Fisherman wrote:Why use abebooks as a price guide? The Medlar Press version is available direct from Medlar at £12 + postage (where you can see an image of the book too). If you look at abebooks or other similar sites you can often find books for sale at ridiculously high prices, that's why they are there; because no one buys at those prices. These sites give ASKING prices not SELLING prices.

For all it's faults (and there are many) ebay does give you an idea of what the current open market price is, assuming that copies have sold on there recently. The last couple of copies of the original sold on ebay for around £80 + postage.
^ What he says.
Ebay completed listings ( items sold ) gives a good indication of market price, it's then all about hunting down a good copy from wherever at a price you are prepared to pay.

Pyrethrum5
Dace

Post by Pyrethrum5 »

Thanks Reedling for posting the picture of your Peter Stone gem!

Best wishes,

Mark
I saw the rod plunging away as if the devil had taken it” – Bernard Venables (1957)

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

No problem Mark, it is now sitting between my Watson Floatmakers manual and new floats book. :Happy: Reedling.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”