Peter Wheat signature??

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Tyke Fisherman

Peter Wheat signature??

Post by Tyke Fisherman »

Hi, can anybody help me? I have seen this "signed" copy of The Fighting Barbel on ebay but I'm very unsure of the signature as it is nothing like those I have obtained from Peter at recent Barbel Society conferences.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141186883091? ... 1423.l2661

Is it possible that it is a very early signature from Peter before the rather distinctive one he now signs books with or as I fear is it someone trying to con any potential buyer? I have questioned the seller on when/where they obtained the signature but all is get is the standard ebay response "it was my grandfathers book and I can assure you it is genuine as he was a gentleman....etc"

Can anyone help, or even could someone ask Peter himself if it is his signature?

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Peter Wheat signature??

Post by Paul F »

I have 2 books signed by Pete in the 90's and the signature is much neater, he underlines it with a sort of v split between the line
That signature looks a bit swirly or overwritten, although it may be a very recent signature, and Peter is getting on in the years

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I've got some cards and letters he signed somewhere, I'll get back to you.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Sounds like you require a graphologist
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

ImAllStokedUp
Gudgeon

Post by ImAllStokedUp »

I have a few books with Peter Wheat's signature in, Fighting Barbel 1st and Medlar, Red Letter Days and Book of the Perch ( signed last year ), all are similar to the above.

On a personal note, if you are unsure, avoid, you can pick up a 1st edition copy with dust jacket for a few quid more.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Peter signed a couple of letters here. As you can see he refers to himself as just Peter with his little self portrait. They are dissimilar but the 't' is identical in both and looks nothing like the signature in the book. Also, it is inscribed 'congratulations', congratulations for what? If it was a prize or an award would that not be also inscribed? Would he not date it? Also his writing is much more deliberate than the flowery scroll in the book.

I reckon its not his autograph.

Tyke Fisherman

Post by Tyke Fisherman »

Thanks Dave, I do not believe it is Peter's signature but want to be sure it is not a very early one as all mine are from the last 10 or so years and are similar to those above. I just want to stop anyone buying this as genuine if it is as I believe to be a fake. The seller is getting quite stroppy with me and insists it is genuine but refuses to revise their listing with a comment suggesting there is doubt to it's authenticity which suggests to me that they know it is fake. They also claim to have had an offer above the original asking price (but didn't take it up) and have now reduced the price also suggesting to me they know it is fake and are just lying to try to put me off.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

The signature is nothing like those I have which are similar to those of others. The real question should be, ignoring the signature, 'Do I want this book to read sufficiently to justify the asking price?' I've got plenty of books with inscriptions nothing to do with the author like 'Happy Christmas, Joe. 1956' etc. and these add nothing to the value but it is the book itself that I'm interested in.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Don't buy it. If you think it's a fake you will have that in your head when you read it :-)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”