Hand made centrepins

This forum belongs to Dave Lewthwaite Centrepins.
Old Angler

Hand made centrepins

Post by Old Angler »

In Fareham, Hampshire, is a man, Dave Lewthwaite, who still makes superb centrepins by hand, if very skillfully using a lathe and other manchine tools can be called 'by hand.' I have visited his workshop twice and each time was blown away by his build quality. He is now semi retired but still makes a few, and has others in stock.

He does not have his own website but you can see his reels if you Google 'Cyber Innovations - center pin reel.' note the USA spelling of 'center.' I do not know why a website design company features reels, but thinlk it is ancient history. The site will come up with 'History of Fort Fareham,' but on the left hand side is a list of Daves's reels. Ignore the bit at the bottom which says 'out of stock,' as Dave has stock. I checked with him this week and his stock list is below. I have put in the prices from his last price list which I think is still correct:
Leeds" reels in 4.0", 4.75", 5.5" £55 to £62 (to nearest whole £)
"Leeds Classic" in 4.0", 4.75", 5.5" £71 to £78
"Magnum Blue" 4.25" Limited Edition £140
"Magnum Black" 4.25" Limited Edition £140
"Quest" sidecaster 4.125" Limited Edition £105
"Castaway Classic" sidecaster 4.625" Limited Edition (I don't know)
"Maple Leaf Drifter" 4.25" Limited Edition £160 Made for the Canadian market.
"Matchman" 4.25" narrow/shallow spool Limited Edition £140
The limited editions (which are the expensive reels) I only have 1 or 2 of each, but the "Leeds" & the "Leeds Classic" I have in greater numbers.

Don't dismiss the Leeds reels. They may look a bit 'naff; but I've got a 5½ inch one, which is very easy to use, and spins like a dream!

Dave says it is OK to contact him direct, by by E-mail at dw.lewthwaite@ntlworld.com or by phone on 01329 231561

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Hand made centrepins

Post by Mark »

Old Angler, I have set up a forum for Dave Lewthwaite Centrepins and have moved your post. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Thanks to visiting this thread I ordered and received a Lewtham Quest (side caster) centrepin yesterday. Although I've not yet used it (I plan to later this week) the reel seems to be extremely well made and nicely finished in black. With ratchet off it's remarkably free running and spins true; the ratchet itself is nice and stiff, which will help in faster flows or when there's a bit of water on the river. It only remains for me to thank Dave Lewthwaite for the excellent service I received from making the initial inquiry to receiving the reel. All done promptly and with good communication.

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

do you have any photos of this reel ?

i could well be interested in one.

many thanks

Robbi
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

Does he still do reels out of fareham
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

My first centre 'pin' reel was a Leeds Lewtham (I think that was it's name), maybe 25 years ago, obviously the same. It was wonderfully cheap but very free running and highly recommended by me.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ExiledSoutherner
Gudgeon

Post by ExiledSoutherner »

Robbi - I'm just off fishing but I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Chevin - yes, still out of Fareham. I think I'm correct in stating that they're no longer manufactured, however Dave still has constituent parts available for assembly.

Return to “Dave Lewthwaite Centrepins”