A sneaky bid, don't tell the wife!!

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: A sneaky bid, don't tell the wife!!

Post by Kingfisher »

I like the looks of it already. Thanks Dave, some great pics in your blog by the way. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Cheers mate

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Welldone Matty I think I saw that one and was rather tempted but I had to buy presents for mrs Loop and I had strict instructions not to buy her a rod :Confused:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Danny Boy
Arctic Char

Post by Danny Boy »

Kingfisher wrote:
RBTraditional wrote:Looks like a cracker to me Kingfisher, probably a salmon spinning or worming rod, but I'd think ideal for carp.......nice price, well done! :Thumb: And don't worry we won't tell your wife........we've all done it! Wal knows all my secret purchases! Ha! :Hahaha:

She away in Telford till I pick her up tomorrow, then the xxxx will hit the fan. :Chuckle:
Which hospital will you be in, we will have a whip around and get you some flowers and fruit :Chuckle:
I go fishing not to find myself...but to lose myself

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

T31000 wrote:
Kingfisher wrote:
RBTraditional wrote:Looks like a cracker to me Kingfisher, probably a salmon spinning or worming rod, but I'd think ideal for carp.......nice price, well done! :Thumb: And don't worry we won't tell your wife........we've all done it! Wal knows all my secret purchases! Ha! :Hahaha:

She away in Telford till I pick her up tomorrow, then the xxxx will hit the fan. :Chuckle:
Which hospital will you be in, we will have a whip around and get you some flowers and fruit :Chuckle:
I'd be most grateful for some fruit and flowers T31000 but I've already told her and thankfully she came around to my way of thinking. I was very firm with her :Scared: and told her that I needed the rod after breaking my last one last season. :Wink:

I think she took petty on me and told me I deserved it :Sun: after all the firewood I've cut to keep her warm.

I have a quick question regarding sharpes rods.

Why are they not varnished? Is it wrong to Varnish them as I love the finish on a cane rod.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Cus they is impregnated so don't need to be varnished
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I know they're impregnated so don't need to be varnished but what I mean is, is there any reason why you shouldn't give them a coat of varnish. I don't mind that it will add to the weight slightly because mine will be put on a rest for the majority of the time it's used for stalking. I just prefer the varnished look of a rod.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Cus it's impregnated........ Dunno then maybe you can I would guess it would be okay if you wanted that nice shine look of a varnished rod

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I thought there must be some reason why they weren't varnished all over in the first place. Just varnishing the whippings must have been to make them lighter or detract from waterside glare. ....something along those lines as a spinning rod is waved about a fair bit. Over the years I've fished a small river though, I've had no problems with glare, if you remain hidden well enough which you should be then the fish don't see the rod or the glare.

Izaak Walton

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Yep they are impregnated (should be a label on the blank saying this). They are great rods just got one myself that I plan to strip and remove the reel seat so I can fit full cork and make it into a stalking rod. Mine was out for the first time last weekend and handled pike fishing well. Strong rod though as the test curve on mine must be 2lb! You can see mine with a pin on in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=350&t=10680
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”