Just back from the book binder

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Just back from the book binder

Post by Paul F »

A couple of months ago I bought a very poor copy of JW martin's Barbel & Chub, along with Roach, Rudd & bream falling to pieces in one knackered volume.

It was badly water damaged, where dye from the cover had stained the opening 10 or so pages, but it is still very readable

I picked it up from the book binder today, rebound in a vintage burgundy cloth to closely match the original and double end papers.

JW Martin wrote 2 titles in 1896; Barbel & Chub fishing, and also Roach, Rudd & Bream, these were sold individually as cheap card cover volumes, they were also sold in hardback cloth, then special volumes with both bound, which was easy to identify as the preface to each volume mentions both.

And lucky me this is the 1896 1st edition double bound volume :Happy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Just back from the book binder

Post by Loop Erimder »

Brill :Thumb: I have asked for Barbel and chub fishing from medlar
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

I hope you enjoy it

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Loop,
What amazes me when I read a book this old, especially by a general working man like Martin who is so humble, is the fact nothing is new in angling!

Although we have over the years improved tackle and refined our methods, the principal is the same as it was 100+ years ago.

I have a copy of the medlar reprint, which is a copy of the Barbel section of my book, and trust me you will enjoy it.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

:Thumb: Mum has asked what I want and that book is what I want so hopefully I'll get
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

ImAllStokedUp
Gudgeon

Post by ImAllStokedUp »

Pafpuff wrote:A couple of months ago I bought a very poor copy of JW martin's Barbel & Chub, along with Roach, Rudd & bream falling to pieces in one knackered volume.

It was badly water damaged, where dye from the cover had stained the opening 10 or so pages, but it is still very readable

I picked it up from the book binder today, rebound in a vintage burgundy cloth to closely match the original and double end papers.

JW Martin wrote 2 titles in 1896; Barbel & Chub fishing, and also Roach, Rudd & Bream, these were sold individually as cheap card cover volumes, they were also sold in hardback cloth, then special volumes with both bound, which was easy to identify as the preface to each volume mentions both.

And lucky me this is the 1896 1st edition double bound volume :Happy:
I saw that recently on Ebay, did you buy it or did you decide to keep it ?
Either way, you've done well to restore the book and bring it back to life.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

It was the one on e-bay, and we did a deal which was more realistic based on the condition
Also I bought it for my collection, not to make a quick buck.
And to read time and again

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Very nice. The barbel and chub book is among the scarcest of all coarse angling books with the combined edition being not much more common. Treasure it :Thumb:

Jmooney
Minnow

Post by Jmooney »

It turned out beautifully!

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”