Help with rod identification

The Milwards Rods forum.
CrayCane
Chub

Help with rod identification

Post by CrayCane »

Can anyone help identify this rod I picked up recently?

It's 8' 6" overall length made up from two sections of cane approx. 42" each and a handle approx. 18".

The reel seat is stamped Milward's but there are no clues on the cane other than it being a similar colour to other Milwards rods I've seen. The handle seems to be made from two full wells fly rod handles with the reel seat in between, no idea if this is original.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Pete

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Help with rod identification

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Pete,
it reminds me of a combination sea rod I once owned.
I think the handle had ferrules at both ends so you could fit the sections in to make it into a pier rod or boat rods.

Wal.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks Wal,
it is possible that there is another ferrule at the butt end of the handle but at the moment it's covered in a large amount of epoxy. I'll discover that when I strip the handle down.
I don't think it was made for sea fishing as it's fairly light but it could have been some sort of combination rod, which would explain the handle shape.

Pete

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

CrayCane wrote:Thanks Wal,
it is possible that there is another ferrule at the butt end of the handle but at the moment it's covered in a large amount of epoxy. I'll discover that when I strip the handle down.
I don't think it was made for sea fishing as it's fairly light but it could have been some sort of combination rod, which would explain the handle shape.

Pete
No problem Pete,
it looks nice dark cane and judging its dimensions by comparing it to the handle thickness it looks strong enough for carp or pike fishing. I think if it was mine i'd make a new handle of around 2ft long and use it as a 9ft stalking rod.

Wal.

Wandler

Post by Wandler »

Is it a combination fly/spinner rod or is it too heavy to be a fly rod?

It looks like a fly rod with an extra handle attached. If you deduct that extra handle it becomes the right length for a 'small river/ brook' fly rod.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

Thanks for your suggestions gentlemen. As the cork was breaking up I stripped the handle this morning and it's pretty clear this was originally a three piece rod(the original intermediate whippings were still there). For whatever reason someone has shortened the butt section and made a handle out of the shortened section.

Pete

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”