Identification of Rod

The Milwards Rods forum.
The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Identification of Rod

Post by The Old Buffer »

I wonder if anyone can shed light on the likely identity of a rod I have recently acquired.

It has the Milward transfer but no rod name. It is 10'6" in length and weighs 14oz. I believe that it is in its original condition and is whipped in red. Lovely action and a joy to hold. The question. Is it a named rod or simply an unnamed light float rod from the Milward stable? I picked the rod up for £41 and consider it something of a bargain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

SeanM
Tench

Re: Identification of Rod

Post by SeanM »

I suspect it might be a made to order special. The brass furniture on the handle hints at late 40s - most Milwards rods in my 1953 catalogue had aluminium reel bands. 14 oz is heavy for a light coarse rod and it does rather give the impression of a game rod. I wonder if it was originally intended as a worming rod. Are the rings original or has it been refurbished at some point?
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Re: Identification of Rod

Post by The Old Buffer »

I tend to think original. It gives the impression of an original, lightly used rod.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”