14 foot Featherlite

The Milwards Rods forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: 14 foot Featherlite

Post by Nobby »

Hmmm...then I think that must be quite a late one AC. Milwards did use black anodised reel bands towards the late Sixties, though the Senior Featherlites were introduced for 1956 I think.
A different style of butt cap too, to other rods I've seen and no tiny winding check.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I'm assuming that it's a late rod Nobby, sir, as the number is so high compared to those of Milward's I've seen before (though I know nothing of their system) ... at 90320.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, indeed....I don't believe I've ever seen a 5 figure number before. Mine was 1317.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Here,s a 14 foot Featherlite i had but sold

The same black reel band,s and the same style of butt cap and chrome ring,s
Serial No 9042

And a Floatranger with the same black reel band,s and the same style of butt cap but this one had black ring,s

Serial No 8544

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Featherlite update ...

Having decided on new guides I decided not to wait for winter, but go for a rebuild as soon as I can get it done so that I can fish with this rod in the height of summer ... as I believe rods of this type deserve.

I have to admit that this has been the easiest strip I've done on a rod !!!

There wasn't a single whipping that was fully attached to the cane, and a quick brush over with 'Rustin's Strypit' saw the varnish peel away in sheets, to the extent that the entire rod was stripped and neutralised inside 45 minutes.

I can only assume that this very thin varnish covering was an attempt by Milward's to keep weight down to a minimum on such a long rod, as it weighed in at 16.2 oz before I started to mess with it. Needless to say I'll be doing a coat or two more ...

I spoke with the excellent chaps at Chapman's earlier this afternoon to order a full set of intermediates, and the Pacific Bay 'Dark Navy' thread has been ordered from GuidesnBlanks, so if the post is efficient I could be whipping guides on tomorrow.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Good luck AC, look forward to seeing your progress.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Just in case you thought I was slacking ... the butt, tip, and half the centre section have been whipped in the PacBay 'Dark Navy'... work continues.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The 'Senior Featherlite' has now been re-whipped throughout in "Dark Navy' with new intermediate guides, the whippings sealed, and the handle cleaned up ... ready for varnishing.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”