Swimversa on eBay

The Milwards Rods forum.
Greentura
Crucian Carp

Swimversa on eBay

Post by Greentura »

This one has been restored but looks wrong in the tip and has the wrong butt guide even though the seller describes it as in original spec. It didn't sell at '£300' and is now up again with a 99p starting price. no bag or stoppers but looks a decent restore apart from the bits that are clearly not original. The Jasper is very dark and could have done with some colour preserver before varnish, but then mine does too under indoor lighting i suppose. What do you think?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Swimversa on eBay

Post by Nobby »

I think that's a rather high serial number for an early whole cane spliced rod. perhaps he got it wrong...he got 'applied' wrong.
I didn't like the tip action on mine...neither did the chap I sold it too and he sold it one too.

I almost got a new middle and tip section made for it to make a sort of three-piece Craftversa, but didn't in the end.

One reads on a certain site that these early ones were 'prone to taking a horrible set' due to the whole cane splice but does anyone actually know of this really happening?
So much of what that site has on it has proved to be spurious, but Milwards must have had a reason to change to bulit cane for the spliced secion.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Mine is perfectly straight in the tip but I suspect it may have had a new one, still correct tapers and the whipping matched perfectly before I stripped it back to bare cane, just no 'twin taper' transfer when I got it. I don't think it was built to cover the same situations as a Craftversa so I don't compare the two A better comparison would be hard to find as the construction is so unusual. I just like it for what it is, and and as to its action,it's something of an acquired taste :Wink:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Oh it's just me...I don't get on with tip action rods much, but I bet it's one of the best roach rods out there...it definitely casts further than other rods, even with this klutz using it. Probably mends line nicely too.....

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Casts and mends a line like no other cane rod Nobby, better than my Hardy perfection roach, but that's the only thing it does better than the hardy and i wouldn't want anything bigger than a couple of pounds on the end of it :Wink:

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”