A 'punt' on a 500

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Martin

Re: A 'punt' on a 500

Post by Martin »

I was going to bid on that but my phone signed me out and didn't send me a reminder for the auction ending.

I was bidding on the pegley Davies that ended an hour previous to the 500 but just as I pressed confirm bid with 7seconds remaining (just enough to get the final bid in) I lost connection on my WiFi :Brickwall:

Missed out on a pair of delmatics on Sunday too so all in all a bad eBay weekend for me.

Enjoy your rod, I asked a couple of questions about it too, mainly about the tip ring which I don't think is original?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Well the Pegley Davies Avon was a bit bent and twisted...I went and had a look at it.

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

'A rod to cover all situations' , sorry don't understand that phrase :Wink:

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Greentura wrote:'A rod to cover all situations' , sorry don't understand that phrase :Wink:
Indeed and heaven forbid otherwise I could not possibly justify my modest collection which as someone said is always just one short of what I would really like.

Martin

Post by Martin »

Nobby wrote:Well the Pegley Davies Avon was a bit bent and twisted...I went and had a look at it.
Perhaps a good job I missed out on it then

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't want my wife hearing that 'one rod to cover all applications' expression.....

She might ask for the dining room back.

Subversive, that is.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well, my 500 arrived and I'm very happy. In fact ... I've now fallen in love twice !!!

The cane is a lovely colour, it's die straight, the guides are fine, the cork is excellent, and the only small niggle is that I can feel a small amount of movement on the female ferrule on the cane (but that's easily sorted).

What is fascinating is comparing it with my Allcock's "Harvey Torbett."

Both rods are of the same configuration, being separate handle with middle and tip sections.

The figures are as follows ...

Chapman's 500. Handle 24 inches. Tip taper 0.133 " - 0.281". Centre taper 0.322" - 0.422". Total weight 11.1 oz.

Harvey Torbett. Handle 25.5 inches. Tip taper 0.106" - 0.285". Centre taper 0.313" - 0.472". Total weight 11.9oz.

So ... "Harvey" starts thinner and ends thicker ... but only by a few thou.

What this means to me in practical terms is that I can now have both rods set up, the '500' (I'm tempted to call him 'John') with a pin for close float work, and 'Harvey' with a fixed spool for more distance.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Now that is interesting......a 10 foot rod, with a tip light enough for float fishing but a bit more in the butt than a 500.

That sounds a very desirable rod indeed.......yet they are practically unknown. I don't recall hearing of another one, though I'm sure they are out there.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Nobby,

If we mention it a bit more one will pop up. I'd like one as well having read about Ashby Cut's and seen the photographs of it in action. Of course the expensive route would be to nip down the A10 to Champmans and ask them…
The Split Cane Splinter Group

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Nobby wrote:Now that is interesting......a 10 foot rod, with a tip light enough for float fishing but a bit more in the butt than a 500.

That sounds a very desirable rod indeed.......yet they are practically unknown. I don't recall hearing of another one, though I'm sure they are out there.
Spot on there Nobby, having had my grubby it little paws on the Harvey I did think that AC may have to pry my fingers loose. An absolute delight in the hand, light but steely, terrifically balanced I thought.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”