DrJohn
Gudgeon

Re: continental and UK beach fishing rods

Post by DrJohn »

Paddex wrote:
DrJohn wrote:nice photo of CG on the cover with an equally nice Bass
thats the one, John,
I travelled North Wales for 3 months in the draught summer of '76
(when even old grannies were arrested for secretly watering their beloved roses in the night)
yes, that's the one Paddex.

You know, 1976 might have been the year I went fishing in west Wales - my parent's rented a holiday cottage nr Cardigan.

And I remember the drought...

John.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Continuing the theme of sea tackle, here's a recent acquisition a Marco Solent beachcaster...I had a watch on this rod on a certain auction site; then it was removed from sale.

I then emailed the seller querying the withdrawal and they offered me the rod. As it was not far out of my way to collect it; I did and paid a miserly amount (£10) for a rod in great condition: it has a few issues though, listed below -

1. A few of the rings (including the tip ring) have broken where they're soldered.
2. Some of the whippings are brittle, one has"burst"open by the ring foot.

I don't feel confident enough to try whipping rings on (I used to), so may have to find someone to do this for me and renew the relevant rings. Compared with my Davenport and Fordham Clive Gammon Bass the Solent feels heavier in both weight and action - I'll weigh both and we'll see.

Interested in any information on this rod.

Hope you're all enjoying a sunny weekend - lovely here in Lincolnshire.

John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Ive just picked up Hardy Victor beachcaster.With the Tourney,and Longbow i think that i am sorted. :Thumb: .

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

My continental beach caster has found his lost uncle. The Noris 2008d is the early 50's equivalent to the late 50's 1142:
The intermediate whippings are less on the newer rod - maybe because of an improved glue.
The bags are mostly the same exept for the nice makers lable and the better quality of the fabric on the older model.
Image.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I have just acquired two of what I assume are 12 to 13' "carpet cane" rods as part of an eBay lot No 281191316835. I have no idea if these are of interest to any of you but I thought I'd ask before I tried to turn them into landing net handles.
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

I have a Davenport and Fordham cataloque (circa 1973) which contains some of the early glass rods including the Super Surflite which I owned and was the only rod to challenge the ABU tlantic 484. I met George Brown at Beverley one year who used the Super Surflite for tournament casting. I bought what was probably the last rod with the long tip section as it was replaced with a version of two equal lengths and mine was made up specially for me after this time but with the orange whippings used on the later rods and not the green whippings as on the long tipped rods.

Another classic which I owned was the Clive Gammon Bass Rod. These rods are both currently owned by friends of mine.

I still have a Gerry Savage carp rod and a Pete Stone Specimen rod.

Other D & F rods were Robin Harris match rods, the Pete Wheat "Avonmaster" and Jack Hargreaves boat rods

Last edited by Phil Arnott on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Hi Phil,

and welcome to the TFF

Thanks for the recollection, I would love a photocopy of that catalogue if you could send me one.

John.

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Phil Arnott wrote:I have a Davenport and Fordham cataloque (circa 1973) which contains some of the early glass rods including the Super Surflite which I owned and was the only rod to challenge the ABU tlantic 484. I met George Brown at Beverley one year who used the Super Surflite for tournament casting. I bought what was probably the last rod with the long tip section as it was replaced with a version of two equal lengths and mine was made up specially for me after this time but with the orange whippings used on the later rods and not the green whippings as on the long tipped rods.
Hi Phil,

I still have a D&P Surflite with reddish orange whippings and two 484 Atlantics.

I must admit that for me the Surflite was very definitely a much favoured rod at the time.

I've also got the contemporary 602AP and a Penn 140 Squidder which was frequently paired with the 484.

I'm sending my Surflite to a very good restorer this week, I'll put some before & after photo's up when it comes back.

This is the contemporary advert from the introduction of the Surflite in 1968.

I have about 200 or so angling magazines dating back to 1961 if anyone is looking for info on any particular introduction through the 1960s to the turn of the century It might take me a little while to find it, but if there's an ad it'll probably be in one of them

Image .

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi Ruffe,

I have a full set of Angling Magazines apart from September 1966 so if anyone reading this has a copy of that issue to spare I'd be more than pleased to hear from them.

Is the advert from Angling magazine?

I loved the Super Surflite when I used it in the early seventies. I won a couple of medals casting with it in local competitions and had a measured cast of 176yds.

I showed a picture of the reel fitting on the World Sea fishing website about a year ago. The chap who designed it - Denis Darkin had posted on the site.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/b ... ost4745242

Further to your offer of info from the old magazines I have always made to same offer myself. I have a full set of Creel, Fishing and Anglers World. My mate Kev Clifford has a superb collections of magazines including most Fishing Gazettes which he also makes available for anyone doing research. I've given Kev all my old sea fishing magazines for his library but I do have most of the "British Sea Anglers' Society" journals. Chris Berry referred to them when researching for his book "Tunny".

Regards,

Phil

Old-CodJA

Post by Old-CodJA »

Hi Phil,

I might look & feel 'ruffe' :Chuckle:, but I'm 'OldCodJA' on here and on WSF from which I see you posted a link

Yes, that was from 'Angling' issue March 1969, the one attached below, which also mentions the Surflite and Clive Gammon in the advert is from the May issue in the same year

The mainstay of my early collection from 1961 onwards is the magazine 'Fishing' from which the article on Peter Drennan and the start of his tackle business was taken. (See traditional 'Float making' forum)

My collection also includes a great many issues of Angling from 1968 onwards, but not complete, Coarse Fisherman from the 1970s and good numbers of Angling Times, which I stopped buying when I packed in serious coarse match-fishing. There are a good few copies of Angler's World, Sea-Angler and more than 100 books from various authors on all aspects of our pastime.

I just love the printed word

Regards

John

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”