continental and UK beach fishing rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Old-CodJA

Re: UK beachcasting rods.

Post by Old-CodJA »

DrJohn wrote: In my opinion a key reference book on the subject is this one by the late, great, Clive Gammon, simply titled Sea Fishing (Pelham Books, 1969).

Clive Gammon's recommendations are; Davenport and Fordham's (Surflite and Farstrike series), with particular mention of his (CG's) signature Bass rod. Hardy's Longbow and Tourney, and the Abu Atlantic series. Mentioned also is the Sea Spray designed by Brian Harris and marketed by B. James & Son.

I agree, the late Clive Gammon is my favourite author on the subject. My wife regularly comments on the huge collection of Angling books that I have amassed over the years and looking through them, I find that Clive appears to have published two versions of this book in 1969

The Hamlyn Press version does not recommend any particular makes or models of rods & reels, but gives general description of the tackle style and pays a great deal of respect to the Late Leslie Moncrieff (The Dungie King) for developing interest in distance casting through his prdigous catches of Cod from Dungeness beach.

Trevor Housby is another sea angling author of note and Hugh Stoker of course along with Ernest Merritt, Ian Gillespie and others including Anthony Pearson whose exploits in the late 1950s and through the 60's & 70' first fired my interest.

Hamburger
Rudd

Re: continental and UK beach fishing rods

Post by Hamburger »

Thanks again for all your recommendations. I had a lot of new entries to my book list. For starters I ordered "Sea Fishing" by Clive Gammon on ebay for 4.99€. Christmas is promising to be great this year.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

Vole wrote: It might be worth seeing what you can find by an author called Hugh Stoker, the generation before Clive Gammon, for decades (it seemed) he wrote a column called "Longshoreman's Notebook" in angling times; if he wrote a book, it may reach back far enough.
]
There is book called "Complete Guide to Sea Fishing" by Hugh Stoker currently available. I think I'll win this auction. I also ordered "Mr.Crabtree's Guide to Fishing Tackle" and "Sea Fishing" by Clive Gammon.
Now, that's enough books for now, I guess. Thanks for your recommendation, Vole.
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Good luck, and I hope it helps!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

Thank you, Vole.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

just found this in the '74 Angling Guide to Wales, edited by Clive Gammon

DrJohn
Gudgeon

Post by DrJohn »

Paddex wrote:just found this in the '74 Angling Guide to Wales, edited by Clive Gammon
Seeing your post Paddex, reminded me I have a copy of the Angling Guide To Wales, bought on a holiday to west Wales...price 70p!

A great little book, and rod"B" is the D & F Clive Gammon Bass Rod, which I bought around 1974 - nice photo of CG on the cover with an equally nice Bass.

John.

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

Thanks Paddex.
Great chart. Six rods and reels is all you need to catch any kind of sea fish. I love this. :Wink:
But seriously: Pretty often, I can't decide what kind of line and casting weights I should use and always carry a bit too much tackle in my bag. This table makes it a bit easier.

Paddex

Post by Paddex »

DrJohn wrote:nice photo of CG on the cover with an equally nice Bass
thats the one, John,
I travelled North Wales for 3 months in the draught summer of '76
(when even old grannies were arrested for secretly watering their beloved roses in the night)

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

This is the stuff I used in Lisbon: Noris 1142 beach casting rod with the sea jecta and for spinning I used the ABU 8ft rod with an Ambassadeur for spinning. And a very good book, that's not about tackle. :-)
I was very pleased with this selection. Most of the time I did float fish from the rocks for little tiddlers. Sadly I had to kill a baby sargo. He has been too greedy.
It was a wonderful vacation. Now I'm back to work in cold and wet Hamburg. But not for too long. Tomorrow I play with my band in Barcelona. I might take a rod......

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”