continental and UK beach fishing rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Old-CodJA

Re: continental and UK beach fishing rods

Post by Old-CodJA »

If anyone is interested, there is a Hardy 'Tourney' advertised on that well-known auction site at the moment

Pity the seller has advertised it under the wrong name, calling it a 'Journey', if it was correctly named it might have picked up more interest, but I think given the apparent condition they are looking for top-dollar with the buy-it-now price anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hardy-brother ... 460be26cf1

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

I think modern beachcasting rods have gone past most angler's abilities :( In the right hands a modern rod can be well wound up and tremendous casts made. I generally only get one week's sea angling but every year I see the same. Lines of anglers using the rods more as though they have an apple stuck on the end and flicking it off out to sea. Rather than properly using the power within the rods and getting them wound up so the full ability of the rod comes into play. No, I don't claim to be able to do this and I doubt I ever will with my back the way it is. But I can certainly effortlessly put a lead a lot further than some of these anglers. If I could get some casting lessons locally I would invest in them.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Daft question I know but 65 yds. with a sea Jecta mk 111 centre pin , that's a record Sir . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Were the Sea Jecta reels the ones where the spool can be removed and put into place on a right angled spindle for casting? It ended up looking like a fixed spool reel. I have/had one of those somewhere.... I haven't seen it for nigh on 30 years but I know it must be around somewhere.
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

No the sea Jectas could only be used as standard that's why I seemed bemused at 65yrd cast , it was the Orlando reels that the spools could be taken off and pushed on a front facing pin for casting . :Wink: W B . But they were only for right handers ie right handed reeling . :shocked:

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

65yrds was the best I could do with the scarborough cast and a 2oz weight. I cast out from the pier and counted the rounds of the reel. Than I measured the lenght of line taken in by one round minus a bit because the reel narrows when some line is out of course. That's why I know it was 65yrds. My fishing buddy who was there with me estimated my cast as 100yrds so I had to make shure.
My Wife promised to film, when we're in Lisbon next week. I will put it on youtube. There's only a few films showing the scarborough cast. I'm willing to change that.
Jakobus
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Hamburger
Rudd

Post by Hamburger »

The sea-jecta III is very free spinning and I use it, when casting, like a giant multiplier. Only keeping the reel from overrunning with a slight pressure of my thumb. The tension drag that's on this reel is really bad, I think. It's much too strong even when in the lightest position.
I love right handed reeling, btw. :Wink:
I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Got a sea Jecta 111 reel myself very free running but I cannot cast 65yds with a 2oz lead , I must need help :shocked: W . B .

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Are you sure you don't mean six foot five inches :Chuckle: , sorry I could not help myself . Kindest regards . A very frustrated Woolly Bear :Hair out:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

It must be the Orlando that I have then :) I wish I knew where it was??? How on earth do you lose a reel that size?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”