Allcocks Match Special

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
OldTackle
Arctic Char

Allcocks Match Special

Post by OldTackle »

Good evening gentlemen!

Does any one have more information on production dates of Allcocks Match Special? I own a very nice one and was asking myself when it might have been produced. Usually I use my Allcocks Super Wizard with my old Trudex to prevent damage to this treasure, but from time to time I can't resist to take it to water when the weather is promising. Not yet catched anything with it, but I guess the only thing we need is more time shared together at the waterside.
I would really like to know how old it is and the worth of it.
I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Hopefully someone can give me a hint.

There is a mark inside the spool " JWY 417 "

Regards from germany,
Christopher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Re: Allcocks Match Special

Post by Tinca Tinca »

I think JWY 417 says that it is a Youngs built Allcocks badged Match Special.

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Saying nothing... :Beg: :drool: :Beg:
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Go to the "Search"buttonfield upside and write in "Allcocks Match Special"
There are informations to this reel in older posts....

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Prices tend to be comparable to the trudex maybe slightly more.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13929/lot/106/

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

The Allcocks Match Special is a rebadged Trudex, which first appeared in the catalogue in 1950 and up to 1969, when it production ceased. So it'll be after 1950. I was told the code number refers to the production date of the spool and not the centre pin, but who knows?....

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

First I'd like to thank for these immediate answers.
To Aquaerial: Check the picture below: How could I dare? I had such a long search for these master pieces and finally got this SuperWizard beauty for 275 pounds. A high price to defend in front of my wife and more than a year later I got this Match Special to pair it with. The key to this reel was entirely....luck!
In this condition it is barely to find.
To Tinca Tinca: I checked these posts mainly talking about the Match Special rod produced from 1955 to 1964 as they said. I guess the production of the reel was longer than 1964. If my reel is older than 50 years I can't believe in what good condition it remained and again I could get angry that it was sent from UK uninsured cheapest way. I was very glad when it arrived safely in germany.
In the long history of JW Youngs there is no hint of more precision in finding out the production year like the Mitchells?

Christopher
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OldTackle on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

Oops,you are right.Only rod threads but Iam sure there was a thread of this reel in the past.Must have a look where...

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Tinca Tinca,

some of these threads are about the reel, but not about production dates. There is one about a Trudex also marked with JWY417 in the spool but also has a reel body stamp of 9/63 or something. So I guess JWY417 has unfortunately nothing to say about the date. The Allcocks plate has no Regd No like the Youngs have.
The only hint is given by Michael saying that in the catalogues the reel was from 1950 to 1969. So my reel should be at least a pre 70's?
Already quite old, but if I consider to keep it as collector's item and not to fish it, how the value will be given in future?

Tinca Tinca
Grayling

Post by Tinca Tinca »

That your reel is pre 1970 is sure;possibly pre 1960 ,nobody knows.Possibly is JWY 417 a casting mark for this part.

If it was my reel I wouldnot use this reel because its really good in condition and I think they will not be cheaper in
the future on the other hand Trudexes and Rapidexes get more expensive every day,too...

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”