I feel a Right Twit now

This forum belongs to the River Severn.
Kingfisher
Catfish

I feel a Right Twit now

Post by Kingfisher »

I don't know why I started reading it because I was looking for information on the free fishing stretch at Ironbridge but read it I did. I'll post what I'm talking about after explaining myself.

I found out the latin name or something to do with the latin for the severn was Sabrina and putting two and two together I wondered if the Dawson's of Bromley rod was perhaps named after it? I'm sure you can see the logic there? (I didn't think you would) :Tongue: Anyway it turned out that I got the name of the rod wrong and it's "Sabina" so that blows that theory out of the water. :Chuckle:

Here is the excerpt:-

In the Country of its birth, the River Severn is called, in modern Welsh, "Afon Hafren". In old Welsh, "Hafren" becomes "Habren", which when Latinised, becomes "Sabrina". Legend has it, according to Geoffrey Of Monmouth, in his pseudo-history, "Historia Regum Britanniae", that King Locrinus fell in love with Princess Estrildis Of The Huns, who invaded Britain under Chief Humber, following the death of Brutus Of Troy. The relationship was not straightforward however, because Locrine was already engaged to Princess Gwendoline, Daughter of the King of Cornwall. Although Locrine eventually Fathered an Heir called Madan with his Queen Gwendoline, he could not give up his love for the Hun Princess Estrildis and he also Fathered a Daughter with her, called Hafren. After Cornwall died, Locrine left his Queen to live with his Mistress, Estrildis and their Daughter, Hafren. Enraged at this slight, Gwendoline raised a Cornish Army against Locrine and pursued him and his followers towards the mountain lands of Mid-Wales, eventually killing him in a savage battle. Fleeing from the scene of the massacre and still being remorselessly chased by Gwendoline's Soldiers, Estrildis and Hafren were drowned attempting to cross the River Severn to safety. Following the tragedy, in Welsh Folklore, Hafren's Ghostly figure took to roaming the banks of the River, especially during periods of dense fog, preventing any unwary travellers approaching the dangerous waters, from suffering her own sad fate. Frequently seen down the centuries and easily recognised by her beautiful features, she has become well known all along the length of the River by her Latinised name, "Sabrina, Goddess Of The Severn".

Well if the name can change so many times in welsh maybe the Dawson's of Bromley rod company changed it to sabina?

Ok OK, i'm a twit. :Hahaha:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Woolly Bear
Chub

Re: I feel a Right Twit now

Post by Woolly Bear »

You only had to ask me and I could have told you that :Hahaha: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Tongue:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Woolly Bear wrote:You only had to ask me and I could have told you that :Hahaha: . Kindest regards . Woolly Bear . :Tongue:

Haha, thanks WB. Just for that I hope you sit on your sandwiches next time you go after sea trout. :Chuckle:

any luck yet?

Izaak Walton

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Wasn't there a Sabina and a Sabrina rod though?
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

St.John wrote:Wasn't there a Sabina and a Sabrina rod though?
I'm sure you're right

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

So am I. One was posh and one less posh, but basically the same rod from memory.
Last edited by St.John on Mon May 27, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

St.John wrote:Wasn't there a Sabina and a Sabrina rod though?
I hope you're right. My theory could be correct then afterall?

Izaak Walton

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

This one's been chewed over elsewhere; iirc, the consensus was that one spelling was a mistake, but having paid for the transfers, Dawson's stuck 'em on. I had a Sabina; what it had to do with the Sabine neighbours of Rome, I have no idea, so I assume the correct/intended name was Sabrina.

Thought "Hafron" was Welsh for "summer river"? The Romans hated "H", and changed it to "S" if they could ( hence Greek "hyper-" and "hypo-" evolving to "super-" and "sub-"), and "b" and "v" are almost interchangeable (look at the spellings of Copenhagen/Kobenhagen/Kuvnhavn etc. down the ages), so Hafron (single "f" in Welsh soundss as "v") became Sabrina... far less fun than Geoffrey of Monmouth's yarn, though.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Never mind the tenuous links Matt, I bought a Sabina and hated it, I'm no fan of the Severn either :Happy: You should buy an Avon and fish there.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I find these old stories fascinating. Even moreso when they may involve the origins of the name of an old rod.

Izaak Walton

Return to “River Severn”