All of a sudden, we travel in hope! With thanks to the Avon Roach Project

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Tengisgol
Barbel

All of a sudden, we travel in hope! With thanks to the Avon Roach Project

Post by Tengisgol »

Those that know me, and have got to know me through TFF, will be aware that roach have dominated my fishy thoughts ever since I was a child. At first it was the writings of Wensum anglers like John Bailey and others in Anglers Mail and Coarse Fisherman, later followed by the news filtering up from the Avon of twos and threes to both the local fishers such as Kevin Grozier and John Searl and those that travelled like the roach machine that was Dave Howes.

I joined the southbound anglers that visited the Avon regularly in the early nineties looking for monsters. I bought a camper van and spent many a night in Ringwood Tesco’s car park. Later it came in handy when a girlfriend got a place at Winchester Art College, which gave me somewhere to go and a little warmer and more comfortable shall we say :Chuckle:

In those days it seemed there were roach everywhere but you still had to think about what you were doing. Careful preparation of bread in the week before to make mash. Handmade elder pith fluted floats were needed, with big sight tips for trotting a windy Avon and holding the line in the middle or far bank. Gradually I became accepted amongst the locals; big Cliff would grunt at my existence and Fred the Bread would no longer scream at me, “don’t you dare put a single ‘effing maggot in that water boy!”. Fred stood behind me once at a gust-strewn Fordingbridge Park, as I ran off the back of the island,”you’ve got that going through lovely there boy”. Praise indeed. If those boys turned up, you knew you were in the right place and in with a chance.

Last week was a special anniversary for me. In anticipation of a holiday with the family I had dug out an old fishing diary and here is what it said:

Life changed after that. I still visited the Avon but I’d got a really good fish and it no longer ‘needed’ to be front and centre. Over the coming years I travelled and met Fran, marriage, children, fab, and I’m so lucky to have the family and our life together. I did get a few more big roach but it was fun and not too serious.

I drifted away from the Avon, to the Wye in the west and Wensum to the east. Word was I’d caught the last of the Avon roach and the river hit rock bottom. It was very sad. The locals no longer bothered and the travelling anglers went elsewhere. But two men weren’t prepared to accept it was the end; Trevor Harrop and Budgie set up the Avon Roach Project (a search on the internet will find more details) and after a decade something has happened. All of a sudden, roach began to appear again in catches. Small but bull shouldered fish with bright crimson fins, and even the odd big one. The roach world gasped when Mark Everard caught a three pounder at last year’s fundraiser and then it got even better.

This October the fundraiser produced another three pounder plus FIVE over two pounds and many more pound plussers. Here is the biggest with apologies to ARP for pinching the photo.

The last ten years we’ve holidayed as a family for the October half term to Norfolk but this year the family wanted to go somewhere different, so Fran booked a cottage in the New Forest - in fact she found a place fifty yards from the middle Avon!

So, for the first time in twenty plus years I travelled to the Avon in hope of a two pounder. Everything was familiar to me still; turn off at Cadnam, mind the ponies, the little tree that I stopped at to stare across the heathland (a bit bigger, but still there).

I took a wander last night up the stretch at Ibsley. The bailiff was very kind and showed me the river. The trees and bushes are all in the same place, also a little bigger but the river resplendent with a little extra push.

I will only get an hour or two here and there but, thanks to Budgie, Trevor and all of those at the Avon Roach Project, I will once again fish in hope.

I’m planning to meet up with Trevor and I’ll let you know how it goes. I will thank him for his vision and hard work, on behalf of all of us that love the Avon and it’s iconic roach, from both near and far.

Up the Avon - it’s the greatest!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

AllcocksRB
Minnow

Re: All of a sudden, we travel in hope! With thanks to the Avon Roach Project

Post by AllcocksRB »

That was a lovely read Tengisgol and such a lovely Roach you caught. The ARP is such a remarkable project, one I wish was happening on rivers all around England. Massive props to both Budgie and Trevor, it may be a huge undertaking but they're doing amazing.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Having fished all the matches except one and supported the Project from its inception ten years ago - I wholeheartedly agree with giving the organisers - and helpers - a big vote of thanks for all their hard work. My colleague won the match with an 8oz roach about 5 years ago, the first time a roach was caught and won I think.

It seems strange that in the 70's I fished Winkton and caught 17 roach all over 1.25 lb to just under the 2lb mark. Where I fished was not very far from the recently caught big fish. In the 70's it was a long tiring way to the Avon - no motorways to help your travel. Now just over the hour door to door. Winkton has regularly produced 3 lbers in the last 4 years - same fish? Perhaps - but with back up fish now being caught it is getting there! The fish above as with the other 2lbers caught being bright new fish not an old warrior!

Ibsley however, now a syndicate, does not seem to be either as prolific as it was and/or numbers of roach are yet to reach the section, a 2lber being rare fish. The Longford Syndicate just below Salisbury was probably the most prolific big roach water but they had disappeared almost completely by the time I fished it! They are though still to be found on LAA Britford.

So with man's help the roach seem to be returning to the Avon. All they need to do is to reproduce successfully and prolifically to bring the river back to reasonable health.

I will point out that this is my rough interpretation of current & past events, others may know better!

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Lovely write up Phil. Hope you catch on this holiday!!
Dave@ Hastings

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Clonking roach! :drool: It's good to hear that the ARP is proving to be successful :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Phil your passion oozes through your words, you are indeed a roach man. And you got Harry Potter to pose with your fish - well done. The thought that the Avon has turned the corner and again holds the fish that made it so desirable is indeed heart warming.

You may be interested but I heard of a 'fluke' roach comfortably in excess of 2lbs on the Red Lion last year. I spoke to the captor the other day and expressed just how rare it was - then his mate showed me a picture of another massive roach taken a couple of hundred yards downstream on another visit together. Both were barbel fishing with pellets. Suddenly 2020 can't come quick enough.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Good luck with your trip Phil, I remember fishing Ibsley years ago, no roach, but I did land a large sea trout, witnessed by Colonel Crow himself!

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

great article nice to see a mention of the great roach fisher fred the bread I still look over my shoulder when I dare to use anything other than bread on the avon.

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Great article Phil thanks for writing it. I really enjoyed that.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Excellent read, all being well some nice Roach to report

Return to “River Avon”