Off to Britford Monday for an explore, any tips gentlemen?

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Off to Britford Monday for an explore, any tips gentlemen?

Post by Tengisgol »

We had a marvellous day! I'd phoned Stuart and he told us to try on Harnham Island, pointing us to some spots where there had apparently been some big roach lurking. Bait should be punch bread or hemp and tare was the advice.

I fished the last swim on the island, trotting down the centre and quickly started picking up roach and dace. Nothing big but much fun on one of Richard Cleaver's fluted sticks, perfect for the task. Here's the stamp of roach:

I don't know how many roach I had in the end but it was quite a few, with a best about 8-10oz probably. Lovely to see them in the Avon.

I am not sure if Richard is going to be online shortly but I think he should tell the tale of his day, given that he probably broke a British Rod Caught Record...
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Chubman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm ted, lower weir swim where you fished, had a 11lb pike out of it last week
I will definitely go back to Britford! An 11lb pike must have been a shock!

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pmI am not sure if Richard is going to be online shortly but I think he should tell the tale of his day, given that he probably broke a British Rod Caught Record...
A wonderful day out at Britford as Phil has already said.
I was very well looked after by Phil and indeed Stuart later on. I chose to try roving partly because I've not fished the Hampshire Avon before and so wanted to have a good look at a few swims available. Nice to get some ideas on how things might look late Winter should I find the urge to hunt those big Roach. Taking only 2 hours to get there it is a good possibility of that.
The results were a good mixture of fish, 7 species in all including some welcome surprises from the navigation at last knockings!

Quite surreal standing in the shallows of the weir pool and hearing a distant bell, and then having half a dozen cattle cross the river behind me obviously intent on getting fed/milked. Well trained for sure!

I don't care much for records myself especially given the farce of recent events but both Phil and myself concur that this was well over an ounce and by far the biggest minnow we've ever seen. At least the improvised unhooking mat will please the internet trolls.
If your planning a visit, my only advice...don't overlook the navigation. Who knows what monsters lurk beneath?...

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

Anyone know how it is fishing at the moment. Wife permitting I may try and get down there before the new year.

Cheers

Exe angler

Return to “River Avon”