Somerley

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
MikeT

Somerley

Post by MikeT »

I'm planning a campaign for this season on the Somerley stretch of the HA, on the Christchurch club book. I don't know the stretch personally, though it is of course famous. I guess there aren't any roach there any more, but there are some chub, and apparently some barbel too. It's the chub that interest me.

Does anyone have any tips to offer me on how to approach the venue? I know it's like asking for advice on what car to buy, when my only stated preference is that it should have four wheels, but if you could offer any pointers for me to get started I should be very grateful.

With thanks.

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: Somerley

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Only fished it once (last October) for the Avon Roach Project. Very attractive part of the river, in excellent surroundings. I hope to go along again this year, in which case I will travel as light as possible and spend far more time looking than fishing. It doesn't strike me as the sort of place where you can set up shop in a likely looking swim and trot all day, or sit it out over a bed of pellets - whilst you may hit the jackpot with that approach you're far more likely to end the day biteless and frustrated. Chub seem to be the main species, so adopt the standard chub stalker's mentality of watching and waiting for that chance, then keep the tackle and rigs as simple as you can and make one good cast.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thank you, that's very kind advice. Yes, I had reckoned on a very mobile approach, travelling light, which is much my favorite sort of angling. (This way, if I fail to catch as usual, I shall have had a lovely walk!)

BTW, did you see a roach?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

MikeT wrote:Thank you, that's very kind advice. Yes, I had reckoned on a very mobile approach, travelling light, which is much my favorite sort of angling. (This way, if I fail to catch as usual, I shall have had a lovely walk!)

BTW, did you see a roach?
I don't think anyone saw a roach that day - leastways, not in the river. From memory only about 20% of those fishing caught anything at all (I blanked) and the biggest fish (and trophy winner) was my friend Charlie's 6lb+ chub, caught on a single banded pellet and 3lb line.

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

gloucesteroldspot wrote:I don't think anyone saw a roach that day
That is truly sad.

Trammels

Post by Trammels »

This year the Avon Roach Project fund raiser was held on Upper and Lower Severals, Avon Castle, Bickerley Mill Stream, Upper and Lower Winkton and The Royalty as Somerley declined holding it.

The great news was that roach were caught on most of these stretches, some of which had previously received a batch of ARP roach.

Fingers crossed for the future.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yes I walked some of the banks at Winkton but didn't fish. £6000 was the total raised for the Roach Project at the dinner/auction. Included were some of CY's broken floats in a"coffin"!

Somerley is no longer on the Christchurch book and will be a Syndicate from 2015.

Return to “River Avon”