Fishing Bisterne

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
SeanM
Tench

Fishing Bisterne

Post by SeanM »

Hi chaps I'll be fishing the Avon at Bisterne in a few weeks and I'm looking for some information on species and methods for this stretch. Such research as I've been able to do suggests that the main target fish will be chub, dace and grayling with an outside chance of a barbel if conditions are right. My current thoughts are to bring a float rod and trot for chub, then set up a heavy ledger rod later in the day for barbel.

Is this likely to be the best strategy or is there a better way?

I suspect that Bob Brookes may well be interested in this question as well!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Fishing Bisterne

Post by Olly »

I have fished it --- and won a match there -- with a 12lb barbel! But not at this time of the year - later with a bit of coloured flood water it was! Came on a maggot/caster feeder from the far bank.

Dependent upon where you go what you can catch! Chub followed by barbel if a match - dace & all sorts if pleasure type fishing. Or both on trotted baits. Watch the EA water heights from now until then for up to date information. Plus phone Richard in Ringwood Tackle for up to date information.

Is this for the Roach Project Match?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I've not fished Bisterne but I have fished other stretches of the Avon extensively over the years. I would say that with the weed still in the river you'll be looking for runs to float fish in between and I would take a few pints of maggots and some heavy floats (up to 4AAA). A good strong rod to extricate through the weedbeds.

Other tactics could be a closed feeder with maggots in between the weed or to roll some spam again in and around the weed runs. Keeping it moving around can make a difference. If you aren't too concerned about being ultratraditionalist, you might also consider a legered boilee or pellets. Good luck, up the Avon!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Sean,
I responded to your PM without having seen this thread. It looks like my views are pretty much in line with the other chaps who have replied. Feed plenty of maggots, or even hemp and caster. Trot on substantial float gear down the clear channels and leger at the end of the swim toward the end of the day.
Then, HANG ON!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Oh yes, if there is a swim with an overhanging willow then bag it!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i have some fond memories of bisterne back in the 1970/s, it was then a top salmon beat and we could only get a 10 bob a day ticket in the winter months.my fishing buddy was a baker so we never run short of lots of loaves of bread,we could hire a fishing punt so we could fish the far bank and tempted chub out from under the willow trees with a heavy float as the river had a lot of pace on it,upsteam from the cottage the river is shallower with some weedy glides and a large island ,a place i always visited in the hope of a few barbel,i used to see a family of otters playing in the daylight on the islands sometimes as it was a very quiet bit of river, i wonder if its changed much since those days in my youth, it was such a magical place to fish.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I last fished it regularly 2000 - and like most of the Avon - still magical when you are on the banks! That is why I keep going back!

There are lost of deep runs - gravelly shallows - a long river beat! See the map attached.

http://www.christchurchac.org.uk/wp-con ... sterne.png

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Thanks chaps! Looks like I'll be trotting maggots then.

It's a Barbel Catchers' Club meeting Olly.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

so your fishing maggot, you must love catching a minnow with ever cast then.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well - on the Avon tomorrow - but higher up! I will let you know.

Return to “River Avon”