last chance for a britford roach

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

last chance for a britford roach

Post by Chubman »

im off to britford on wednesday 11th march in search of a 2lb+roach to finish the season off,i would be happy to meet up on the day with anyone who has the time spare to fish this venue, best wishes chubman.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: last chance for a britford roach

Post by Tengisgol »

Best of luck! I fished hard there the Friday before last for just a few whippersnappers but the tempreature is up now and if it holds (and pray for maybe just a sprinkling of rain) you're in with a chance! Please do report back!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Good luck, I would if I could. Do let us know how you get on, tight lines...

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

well today was very windy,so i decided to fish the side stream down from harnam bridge,only manage 3 minnows,one grayling, six roach about 6ozs and dropped one about 1.5lb at the net(a drennen red maggot hook straitened right out),ill give it one more go on the last day of the season,ever hopefull chubman.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

At least you're doing something right and also that it wasn't your two pounder, which will come I am sure. Good luck for Saturday.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

i was fishing with charlie emmett, the local roach master of britford and he didnt do very well either, chubman.

Gobio

Post by Gobio »

Interesting to hear about the red maggot hooks. The same happened to me last week with a chub of about 3 lb. Will be giving those a wide berth in future.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Chubman wrote:well today was very windy,so i decided to fish the side stream down from harnam bridge,only manage 3 minnows,one grayling, six roach about 6ozs and dropped one about 1.5lb at the net(a drennen red maggot hook straitened right out),ill give it one more go on the last day of the season,ever hopefull chubman.
Very well done, good luck on Saturday.....

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

Gobio wrote:Interesting to hear about the red maggot hooks. The same happened to me last week with a chub of about 3 lb. Will be giving those a wide berth in future.
red maggot hooks are super fine and perfect for bread flake but do not seem to be very strong up against larger fish,i think ill give the kamasan spade ends a try,chubman.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done Chubman, shame about the lost fish!I avoid fine wire hooks, using either forged or similar strong patterns. I may get less bites when using maggots or worms, but I feel confident that when I do hook a decent fish that the hook will not straighten!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Return to “River Avon”