I am going to be in "passion for angling" territory, I think

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Blunderer
Bleak

I am going to be in "passion for angling" territory, I think

Post by Blunderer »

This October I have booked a cottage at the edge of the New Forest, in a village called Woodgreen, for a family holiday. It was only after I booked it, and saw that we are a couple of hundred yards from a pub called "the Horse and Groom". We are also very close to the Avon, and there are stretches where I recognise the names from the writings of Chris Yates. Breamore, Ibsley etc.

I am sure I remember the Passion for Angling anglers going to a pub called the Horse and Groom, and I reckon this is the one, because I am sure as I can be that it's the 'barbel for beer' sequence of the first episode.

Does anyone know if I'm right? And also, does anyone know where the two anglers fished? I intend to sneak some barbel tackle in the car and get away for a day. Any recommendations for a day ticket stretch would be great too, whether it features in APFA or not.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: I am going to be in "passion for angling" territory, I t

Post by Olly »

I do - I fish them myself.

The Horse & Groom is in Woodgreen opposite the Hale Syndicate. My wife's relatives are down from Northumberland and we ate there on Saturday. I enjoyed my ham egg & chips whilst the others had sandwiches, again recommended.

Bob & Chris fished the Longford & Trafalgar Sporting Fishery - an extremely exclusive syndicate which appeared in several parts of the Passion for Angling series.

The also exclusive Hale Syndicate Fishery is from Charford Weirs downstream with the exclusion of a small section. The bridge where they discuss which pub is the one at Hale crossed by a public footpath..

Day Tickets are issued for the Christchurch Angling Club waters nearer Ringwood from Ringwood Tackle in West Street at about £10 per day.

Ringwood Angling Club issue Day Tickets for Throop on the Dorset Stour - for huge chub!!

I am sure I could arrange a day on the Hale should you wish to fish it with a donation to the Avon Roach Project which is funding for the breeding and the reintroduction of roach into the Hants Avon. Please see their website.

I understand that BACAS may have taken over the 'Bull at Downton' stretch so unless you are a member of British Airways -- ??

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Brings back wonderful memories for me, propping the bar at the Horse and Groom, Bat and Ball, fishing Hale Park, Breamore, Ibsley...

I am sure that if you make Ringwood Angling your first stop they will help you with tickets as Olly suggests. Have a great trip Blunderer and looking forward to your report.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Or PM me if you wish to fish Hale!

Blunderer
Bleak

Post by Blunderer »

Thanks so much for the comments here, everyone.

All I need now is an invite to the secret lake with the record carp.

Return to “River Avon”