LAA Britford Hants Avon advice needed

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
Paul F
Sea Trout

LAA Britford Hants Avon advice needed

Post by Paul F »

Hi
Just joined LAA for the coming season, also bought the extra Britford permit
It is a bit of a trek for me from Somerset, so need to make the most of my trips
Any advise on the sections I should tackle, mainly for the barbel
I also don't quite get what extra fishing I get for my extra ticket
Happy for any advise by PM if you prefer
Thanks in advance
Pafpuff

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: LAA Britford Hants Avon advice needed

Post by Chubman »

hi pafpuff,i would not say britfords a top spot for barbel,but its got some very good roach fishing and dace as well,most guys i know who fish it on a regular basis fish with hemp and tares,it can in mid summer be overrun with weed and any persistant rain it tends to flood,i personly think it fishes better in the winter,not a bad venue for a tff members fish in trip for the forth coming season,best wishes chubman.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Pafpuff forget the Barbel go Chub and Roach feed mashed Bread and bread flake on the hook best time is Oct and November. Cannot remember the name of the head bailiff but well worth groundbaiting his hand in the car park before you start and he will give you the best instruction,
Colin

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just above the section I fish. Britford is the best chance of a 2lb roach from the Avon.
Have look at Youtube "Britford Avon 2011" which shows some if not the best swims!
Martin Bowler wrote/filmed at Britford a couple of years back(?).

Barbel are few & far between compared to some other rivers. Not that there aren't any - just fewer.
The Kennet is possibly nearer as is the Bristol Avon?

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Thanks for the replies lads, I had planned this ticket for the autumn/winter Roach, so that is encouraging information
I will stick to my Teme/Wye trips for the Barbel, also got an option for kings weir on the LAA when I visit (or not) family in SE London

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

The Head Bailiff is Stuart, a good guy. The reason the LAA put the "levy" on the price of the ticket was to help with the costs of running this very special water and thus those of us that use it the most pay that little bit extra.
The other chaps are correct regards the roach and you'll find these in the colder months in the Harman Bridge beat both in the main river and the carrier. There are barbel present as I've seen these plenty of times on sorties with Stu and it is producing more each season up to 14lb, but they are thin on the ground compared with the chub.
Enjoy your trip............. :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I fished many stretches of the Avon in the nineties but never made it to Britford and then work and children curtailed my trips south. However, I have been wanting to get back and visit Britford now for a couple of seasons and would be up for a TFF visit in the winter if there was any enthusiasm?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

ive just joined the laa,solely with britford in mind as its only a 40 minute drive away from me,if any one would like to meet up there some time in the future im up for it,best wishes chubman.

Return to “River Avon”