Chippenham Angling Club Bristol Avon

This forum belongs to the River Avon.
ExeAngler
Chub

Chippenham Angling Club Bristol Avon

Post by ExeAngler »

Afternoon Chaps,

I was wondering if anyone has an experience of Chub and Barbel fishing on the Chippenham Angling Club waters. This is my new angling club for the next 12 months and I am keen on gaining some knowledge of the river, as I do not have much information on their stretches. The town river in Chippenham gets match fished a lot, so I will be doing my small fish angling around this area. However, I really want to target Kellerways and Peckingell for the Chub, and with a bit of luck, my first river Barbel.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Chippenham Angling Club Bristol Avon

Post by Paul F »

ExeAngler wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:44 pm Afternoon Chaps,

I was wondering if anyone has an experience of Chub and Barbel fishing on the Chippenham Angling Club waters. This is my new angling club for the next 12 months and I am keen on gaining some knowledge of the river, as I do not have much information on their stretches. The town river in Chippenham gets match fished a lot, so I will be doing my small fish angling around this area. However, I really want to target Kellerways and Peckingell for the Chub, and with a bit of luck, my first river Barbel.

Any advice would be most welcome.
I used to be a member around 2000-2008, I fished Kellaways and Peckingell and have caught a number of barbel and chub, although from what I understand it was a lot better before I joined, and the fishing got harder each season.

I left as I caught very few barbel in my last couple of seasons, and others were saying all the barbel had gone, through pollution and otters.

I would ask in the Chippingham tackle shop, as they know the water well, or drop the club secretary an email and ask if there are still barbel in the stretches. :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

As Paul has said, the Bristol Avon is a shadow of it's former self. It used to be prime barbel, chub and roach water with a surprising number of big tench too but now it's suffered with lower water levels and slower flow, pollution and our furry friends that have made it pretty poor by comparison.

But don't be too depressed, I'm sure parts are still producing. Local tackle stores and your angling club secretary should shorten your search. I hope you find fish as I have a soft spot for the river and spent many days on it, mainly around Laycock.

Penrhos
Minnow

Post by Penrhos »

Has anyone fished the Malmesbury end of the Bristol Avon recently ? I was thinking of trying some of the Amalgamated stretches (Daniels Well / Christian Malford) on day ticket, with vague, big roach-shaped ideas in the back of my mind.

Return to “River Avon”