Raymond Blanc: The Very Hungry Frenchman

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Raymond Blanc: The Very Hungry Frenchman

Post by StalkingLuke »

For those of you that like your grub this is a very good series on BBC2 in fact the best food related programme I've seen for years, it's not a new format Raymond is basically meeting food producers and chefs around France but puts the likes of the Oliver's and Ramsay's efforts in the shade.
In this episode Raymond goes gudgeon fishing at around the 35 minute mark.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Burgundy/

Has anybody eaten gudgeon? I now fancy trying in the summer.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

PerchBasher

Re: Raymond Blanc: The Very Hungry Frenchman

Post by PerchBasher »

In the early 1970’s I was an impecunious student living near Kingston. Despite having our fees paid and being in receipt of a fairly generous grant from the local authority, beer and other essentials ate into my funds and a fellow angling flatmate and I regularly ate roach, dace, bleak, perch and gudgeon caught from the Thames.

The roach and dace were full of bones, the bleak were not too bad but had little taste, the perch were very good but the gudgeon were even better. Dipped in flour seasoned with mixed herbs, then deep fried and served with a green salad, crusty bread and butter and a glass or three of the cheapest white wine from the local off-licence, they made a lovely meal.

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

perchbasher wrote: the gudgeon were even better. Dipped in flour seasoned with mixed herbs, then deep fried and served with a green salad, crusty bread and butter and a glass or three of the cheapest white wine from the local off-licence, they made a lovely meal.
Pretty much like whitebait, I'd imagine? The Victorians certainly enjoyed their gudgeon fry-ups, but I've never caught more than half-a-dozen at a sitting and it seems a bit mean to save up several sessions-worth for a fritture.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Mrs Beeton described a recipe for gudgeon tansey.
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/misce ... n-gudgeons
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”