any information

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: any information

Post by Olly »

No 'e' on the end of Bill's surname! We started fishing together at Radnor Gardens in about 1958 and still go together.

Morgans and Norris shops in Hampton Wick - Kirks shop in Bridge Street East Molesey which was almost opposite Hampton Court Station - the end of the line.

Ted Charmans was where the lads from Radnor Gardens bought their 1d hooks when he was near the church! My angling colleague from those days still lives in Teddington in the road at the bottom of the railway bridge not far from the Model Shop site.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:No 'e' on the end of Bill's surname! We started fishing together at Radnor Gardens in about 1958 and still go together.

Morgans and Norris shops in Hampton Wick - Kirks shop in Bridge Street East Molesey which was almost opposite Hampton Court Station - the end of the line.

Ted Charmans was where the lads from Radnor Gardens bought their 1d hooks when he was near the church! My angling colleague from those days still lives in Teddington in the road at the bottom of the railway bridge not far from the Model Shop site.
Small world hey Olly, I may well of met you on the bank at the embankment or Radnor gardens, this is where I learnt in my teans a good few moons ago from Bill about how to use the wet bread method which I still use today at times :Thumb:

Sometimes at low water I used to walk out at the top of the gravel run that was adjacent to the AIT and happily trot for the roach and dace,
For a number of years the roach and dace declined from here but are now interestingly making a come back as I've recently heard of a good few bags being taken whilst on the waggler :Wink:

I also used to enjoy fishing the big Eddie that was at the other down stream end of the gardens for the bream, some proper big slabs in there, I've had to a respective 8lb and these where all caught on the wet bread using large swan necked loafers held back hard so the bait was very slowly just inching through and tripping bottom :Hat:

Gosh they were the days, haven't done that down there now must be for some 20-25 years,

Time just simply flies by when yer having fun
Last edited by Stuart Whiting on Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well there were 4 of us who fished Radnor together, Bill, Dave, "Stalker" (Ian) and myself. I lived in Holmes Road near the pub. So a long 100m walk for me. We fished it regularly together from about 1958 until about 1966. Bill got an 'Only Fools and Horses' yellow Reliant, Stalker had a scooter and I had a motorbike so we spread our wings a bit from then on. Dave kept his bike and still does not drive nearly 60 years later! I moved away in 1978.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

Olly wrote:Well there were 4 of us who fished Radnor together, Bill, Dave, "Stalker" (Ian) and myself. I lived in Holmes Road near the pub. So a long 100m walk for me. We fished it regularly together from about 1958 until about 1966. Bill got an 'Only Fools and Horses' yellow Reliant, Stalker had a scooter and I had a motorbike so we spread our wings a bit from then on. Dave kept his bike and still does not drive nearly 60 years later! I moved away in 1978.
Nice reading Olly :Hat:

You clearly fished there a little before my time, at the time when I fished there I was born and brought up in Beckenham and Shirley ( Croydon) it was very easy for me at the time to jump on a train from East Croydon and change at Clapham jct for Twickenham,
I fished there from 1985 until about 1990 aged between 15-20,

I travel through the area quite frequently and walked through Radnor gardens and down to eel pie island and then onto marble house only last summer and eventually ended up in Isleworth ( London apprentice ) :Thumb:

I might go back and fish there sometime just for memory sake and see if I can catch a few more of those roach and bream,

one of the many reasons why I'm known as ( Thames mudlarker ) often wading out at low water on the gravels and mud, I also used to regularly wade out over low water at Isleworth, Richmond, Strand on the green, Mortlake, Barnes, Leg of mutton, Hammersmith and Putney :Hat:

Incidentally I did fish at Barnes / Leg of mutton last summer fishing the stick float and had a respectable bag of roach, dace and a couple of stray bream all caught on hemp n caster :Thumb:

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Always fun reading old threads and then thinking I know that name, I just dug out my Abu "Service Reels" and this little beauty popped up, one thing we know is the tackle shop serviced and sold Abu reels having this reel behind the counter to let anglers carry on fishing when their reel required a service or repair. :Hat: :Hat:

Image Image
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”