Cliff Glenton, Northfields

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Huttojon
Minnow

Re: Cliff Glenton, Northfields

Post by Huttojon »

I was a customer of Cliffs for over 29 years it was a great place not just for the tackle that he sold, B James,Davenport and Fordham,Youmgs reels et.c and he sold secondhand tackle = £8 for a MK4,£7 for a Grebe Minor!It was the customers that made it such a good shop,there were Avon anglers,Kennet anglers and carp anglers.The banter between the river anglers was great as was the information on swims and baits that was freely exchanged.The carp anglers stood outside and whispered.
As far as Wadhurst is concerned the lake was netted and then treated to kill off the remaining coarse fish before being restocked with Rainbow trout.I have no other information on what it is now,for sure it isn't a day ticket trout fishery now.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

whereabouts at Northfields

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

huttojon wrote: As far as Wadhurst is concerned the lake was netted and then treated to kill off the remaining coarse fish before being restocked with Rainbow trout.I have no other information on what it is now,for sure it isn't a day ticket trout fishery now.
It's part of the estate owned by Hans Rausing http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/apr/1 ... cs.economy

Pete

Huttojon
Minnow

Post by Huttojon »

Cliff was the manager of the B James retail shop at 193 Northfields Avenue,when B James moved production to Upwood the shop was closed and Cliff opened his business in part of the old "factory",from memory it was at no 186,a tiny shop on the corner of Cranmer Avenue .It's worth mentioning that apart from being a thoroughly nice man Cliff was a noted carp angler and was credited with being the first to catch 3 20's in a session,he was also a brilliant river angler with a string of double figure Barbel caught on the Royalty using a James Trotter and Rapidex ,the line was claimed to be 4.2 Platil.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Thanks I know where you mean now. I used to work at Northfields Tube station ( long after B James and Cliffs had gone) ....cor I wonder how many people had walked through that station with a brand new B James split cane rod under their arm....ghosts of the 1950/60s

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've wobbled past that tube station many a night with a belly full of afelia and ouzo on board.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Cliff was also for a time my President [when I was Hon Sec.] of Ruislip Angling Society.
Used to fish with Alex Rennie.

Mike

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

a very nice man was Cliff, i bought my mk1v g's off him, Avon & Carp models.
And also a carbon, yes carbon, MK1v carp and Avon Perfection, what would they be worth now.
I changed the eyes on the Avon perfection, high standoffs and replaced them with Fujis and
about a year later i part exed it for something in Hounslow Angling. Bill Rushmer then bought
the rod, cos he mentioned it in an article in AT or AM and how the person who re-ringed the
rod had whipped them on the wrong way :Chuckle: :Chuckle: well, it was my first attempt.

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

I remember Cliffs too what a great shop!!!

At that time I had no idea about the man himself.... he was just the bloke that owned the tackle shop

I still have the Mitchel Match and Mitchell 300 bought from the shop when I was in my teens and I think I have a reel case from there too.
One of my landing net poles came from his shop (It is still in service) and I'm pretty sure I wooden tackle box from cliffs in the loft...maybe it is time to resurrect it?

Does anyone remember buying Cliff's Mix ground bait?
I know one of the secret ingredients ........
At the time my dad used to deliver bread around the area, he used to supply Cliff with huge bags of bread crumbs.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

I do not know the shop you chaps are talking about but I noticed on the Trotter I got a few years ago from a car boot sale it has this on the rod:

Kind regards,

Chris

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”