Tom Watsons of 5 Canal Street Nottingham

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Isis
Perch

Tom Watsons of 5 Canal Street Nottingham

Post by Isis »

Absolutely loved this tackle dealer. My local shops were Youngs of Harrow and Chubbs of Edgware but I sent off for a Tom Watson's catalogue every year. There was such an array of tackle that my local shops never stocked. All my paper round wages went on a yearly order to Watsons. The catalogue had Welland double bodied floats, maggot net bags all sorts of wonderful gear. There was never a problem working out the postage because they only charged you their postage costs, the change was put in a little paper envelope and sent with your order. Has anyone still got one of their catalogues?

Davyr

Re: Tom Watsons of 5 Canal Street Nottingham

Post by Davyr »

isis wrote: Has anyone still got one of their catalogues?
Sadly not. They do appear on eBay now and again - in fact there were two together very recently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-Tom-W ... 500wt_1182

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Hi,
I have a range of them. They are great for dating fishing tackle, when something was introduced and when it was deleted. I use them for a reference & would recommend anyone to collect a few if they are interested in the 50's, 60's & 70's.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

TraditionalAngling
Brown Trout

Post by TraditionalAngling »

On to Tom Watson just had a one of his rods come in .Has shop transfer but is not named but looks like a Gnat.Down for a restore at some time.3pce Whole cane butt and middle with split can tip under 11feet long all sections of cane being equal.
Image Image Image

SM
The rod is now sold to a fellow forum member
Last edited by TraditionalAngling on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Used to go in there a lot when I was a lad ,bought a folding Balcomb landing net from them ,regards , Woolly Bear . :Thumb: :Hat:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Did they have two shops on the go in Nottingham at one time I remember ,regards .Woolly Bear , :Hat:

AndyPop
Silver Bream

Post by AndyPop »

I know this is an old thread, but having a sort through the garage today I came across a reel of these. Tom Watson shop price labels!
The strangest things you find!
"Carpe Diem" does not mean "fish of the day."

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I always found their catalogues from the 1950's/60's some of the best. Fredline.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They also put adverts in some of the monthlies, so I know they offered camouflaged fluted avons in 1966, the year these floats seem to have gone postal.
There's also a Tom Watson built Aero Wizard rod, which even looks as though Peter Aspindale sign-wrote it........maybe he made it for them??

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Bob Brookes wrote:Hi,
I have a range of them. They are great for dating fishing tackle, when something was introduced and when it was deleted. I use them for a reference & would recommend anyone to collect a few if they are interested in the 50's, 60's & 70's.
Bob
Now that's showing off :Thumb: Neat that some people have foresight a lifetime long... Respect.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”