First Tackle Shop You Ever Used...

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Michael
Tench

First Tackle Shop You Ever Used...

Post by Michael »

Edgar Thurston shop..... in East Twickenham, called Edgar Thurstons. This was run by Dave Steuart a well respected tackle dealer and fisherman. I would accompany my Father from about 1963/4 onwards until it closed (very much missed!). A fantastic place, full of very knowledgeable folk. Its where I got my first new reel, a Mitchell CAP 304..
Last edited by Michael on Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGs
Pike

Re: First Tackle Shop You Ever Used...

Post by MGs »

Judd's of Hillingdon for me. About 100 yards from my front door. Run in those days by Jack Harrigan (He of the swim on the Royalty). I still have one of their carp rods and use it occasionally.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Edgar Thurston's was mine as well, I lived in Strawberry Hill near Radnor Gardens. Dave was my angling mentor. I still have rods made by him - cane - glass - & c****n.

Whereabouts did you fish the Tidal?

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am not sure if it was Keane's of Bloomfield Road Plumstead or Gentry's at Welling corner. Half a pint of maggots and a small quill could have been purchased at either before we fished Danson park or Darford lakes.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Fred Gents on Stockton Road, Hartlepool. A lovely man and a great shop, full of guns, knives and fishing tackle. The window displays would keep kids happy for hours.
It was right near a bus stop as well so we often missed the bus by staring into the window and picking the gun or knife we would buy if we were rich. :Hahaha:

Wal.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Robertson's in Plaistow in the early 1960's It was wonderfully warm, dark and secretive and the smell. I can close my eyes and instantly be back there. George Robertson was a miserable sod but very good to his younger clientele.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Not one but three, all three with my Dad

1. Coopers in Kings street Hammersmith , that was a walk away but was for cartridges as much as fishing , long gone

2. Hounslow Angling in bath road Hounslow , until 1997

3. The Edgar thruston shop mentioned above just close to Richmond bridge , picked up maggots on the way to fish off of the steps beside Richmond Ice rink, bought a seat basket in 1987 , chap behind the counter gave me grandmaster advice on fishing the tidal thames ,....keep adjusting your float with the Rosie and fall.

Happy days

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Hounslow Angling where Ritchie McDonald worked on a part time basis. Bought loads of Conoflex glass blanks there for my rod building!

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Cornelius in Crewkerne.A general merchandise shop that had a small fishing tackle section.Dad bought my first rod there,three piece whole bamboo (including the tip).Had a wooden handle and rod rings.I already had a Kasteasy fixed spool reel that Grandad bought me.This was later upgraded to a pink Intrepid Truspin bought from Cornelius(they had sold all the grey ones and i couldnt wait till the next delivery).Circa 1962 ish.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Funny that Tench dreamer & Olly, Hounslow Angling Centre, was another outlet nearby, as I used, as I lived in Hounslow, in St Stephens Road about two miles away or so by bike. I liked the first incarnation of the shop, when the serving counter was at the rear of the shop and the smell of nets and linseed oil pervaded.

Again another superb tackle shop, along with Edgars, that held a mountain, on Everest scale, of advice & information! Nowadays, if I need the personal touch, a chat or a cup of tea or meander around cogitating, I pop along to the nearby Yateley Angling Centre, an excellent outlet...

A blast from the past, the Legendary Dave Steuart, of Edgar Thurstons
The Legendary Dave Steuart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”