Calcott's of Sheffield

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Stathamender
Tench

Calcott's of Sheffield

Post by Stathamender »

Anyone here remember them? I recently turned up a reel case from them in an auction. They were on The Wicker (almost directly opposite Bennett's next to last shop) although they gave their address as Lady's Bridge. I think they survived until about 10 years or so ago. This is what's there now https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.38662 ... 312!8i6656
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Calcott's of Sheffield

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Yes I remember them well.

I used to work in Sheffield for about 4 or 5 years in the mid 90's leaving in 98.

Bennett's across the road held sway being much bigger and also was first out of the blocks with mail order. What there was however, was different stockings of items. Calcotts ( I always thought it was Caldicotts??) stocked a lot of Browning match gear that Bennets didn't, Bennetts stocked Shimano in turn. I do remember buying an Ultra-Cult landing net handle from Caldy's which I still have today as they were a stockist. Just on the corner to the left of the shop was Hancock and Lant furniture store.

Both tackle shops have now gone, Bennetts being more of a surprise due to it's size.

Happy days :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

This is what I found:

Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Ive a fibreglass NorthWestern blanks pike rod that I bought from them about 20 years ago
I think they closed after the flood of 2005 when the Don ran down the Wicker , if I have remembered the date correctly .

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

SkimmingTheCream wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 pm Ive a fibreglass NorthWestern blanks pike rod that I bought from them about 20 years ago
I think they closed after the flood of 2005 when the Don ran down the Wicker , if I have remembered the date correctly .
June 25 2007 was the date of the flood, that fits. There were several businesses, including some large factories, between Hillsborough and The Wicker that got wiped out then.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

There was some discussion of Calcotts on the Sheffield Forum when they closed down.
Trevor

Damflask
Grayling

Post by Damflask »

Calcotts used Bennetts as their unofficial 'showroom '. Bennetts had huge floorspace and hundreds of rods and poles set up. Calcotts was much smaller.
I overheard lots of conversations in Calcotts along the lines of ' go and give it a wiggle in Bennetts, then come back here for a better price.'

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

The 2007 floods that put calcotts under water finally finished them off.
Id agree that Bennetts was "their showroom"

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”