Bill Leavesley, Bewdley

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Nige52

Bill Leavesley, Bewdley

Post by Nige52 »

Anyone remember Bills shop by the river on Severnside North I think it was...
It was an Aladdins Cave stuffed with old reels and rods, all over the walls and ceiling, but none for sale. I went to Bills house once and it was just like the shop, stuffed full of old tackle.....he must have closed down during my time of living abroad, I loved visiting there just to nose about :Happy:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Bill Leavesley, Bewdley

Post by Beresford »

I did visit it just once. I recall a good number of tatty Altex reels. All back in the day before I could afford such luxuries.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Hi Yes I remember Bill's shop. We were visiting one year in the nineties and he was closing down. I think the flooding was getting him down a bit.
I later ran into him in Tewkesbury market. He had a stall there for a few years I think.We started taking our holidays in a different region but would love to know if he was still with us. He was a very likeable chap!
Dave@ Hastings

Nige52

Post by Nige52 »

Yes, so would I :) We became quite good friends as I used to visit Des Taylor at the same time if he was not working, only a few times though as he was mostly out promoting tackle. I forgot exactly where Bill lived, an estate behind the town, but it's been so long....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I believe Bill Leavesley was the designer of the Browning Revolver centrepin reel built by J W Young and Sons.
Quite an achievement I think.

Wal.

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Have been scanning in loads of negatives to the computer and came across these two photos of Bills shop. Thought they may be of interest. Unfortunately I have no date for them but must have been early nineties I think

Dave@ Hastings

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Goodness! That took me back! In the 1980's we used to have a weeks holiday at Bewdley every summer and that's where we would get our hemp and caster. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by Tengisgol on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Yes Phil. We used to stay at Stanford Bridge and fish the Teme in the nineties. Always a trip to Bewdley for fish & chips and a pint from The Cock & Magpie and a browse round Bill's shop. Happy day's!!!
Dave@ Hastings

Ambidexman
Bleak

Post by Ambidexman »

Bill was (is I hope) a splendid chap with a unique sense of humour. He used to trade on eBay as The Carp Pole Engineer (or something similar). I haven't seen him for a few years now, but he was always able to turn up the odd Youngs reels that I just could not resist :)

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Just an update to my photos. Have now dated them to 1995.
Dave@ Hastings

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”