Robertsons Tackle Shop Plaistow.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Fredline
Tench

Robertsons Tackle Shop Plaistow.

Post by Fredline »

When I started fishing in earnest, a couple of years ago,over 50 actually, the tackle shop of choice was Robertsons in Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow. George Robertson was a Chris Yates look-a-like but could be a little sour. He did not suffer fools at all, but was always friendly towards his younger, less affluent clientele. I can still smell that shop now, it was wonderfully dark in comparison to todays sanitised shopping and always warm. Can any TFFers remember this tackle emporium? Fredline.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Re: Robertsons Tackle Shop Plaistow.

Post by Chris Bettis »

I remember it well. I attended Plaistow Grammar School and spent a lot of time but not money in there. As you say he may have looked sour but was very good to the young angler. The amount of Gentles handed over for sixpence was far more than anywhere else. In fact I thing everything he sold to us lads was cheaper than the amount he charged other more well off anglers. Yes I have fond memories of that shop and George.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I have a beefy Robertsons split cane float rod that I bought from eBay in the bargain section. Must get around to restoring it. It looks a bit like a Marco Test but the taper is different, it has a beefier tip section. Parts of the shop's name and address are just visinlet on the decal.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

Bought both my 300's there in 1972 with money earned workin in my local Spar shop, Saturdays during close season.
Also bought my Herons there I believe.
Remember Robbo appearing in one of the papers after Salmon stocked in Thames. I think I quote him here :
'I can categorically state there are no Salmon in this river'.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

What happened to it?

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tench Dreamer wrote:What happened to it?
Robbo,s moved to Oxlow Lane, Dagenham.

Robbo,s old address was 37 Prince Regent Lane. He also owned No 38 the house opposite the shop.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I have had this landing net handle for a few years now and the guy who went to the Dagenham shop from Plaistow when it closed, I think his name is Chris, knows nothing about this shop, it is still E.13. Anybody out there know anything? I have only known the Prince Regent Lane shop.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Google found :Ok:

Robertsons Fishing Tackle originally opened in Plaistow, East London in 1937. The shop moved from Balaam Street to Prince Regents lane in 1946, and was originally owned by two generations of the Robertson family.

The current owners Bob and Jeff bought out the company in 1997, Jeff having worked in the shop since he was 13 and Bob having run a successful rod building business in the premises for many years.

In 2001 The company acquired the current premises at 238-242 Oxlow Lane, Dagenham and two years later closed the original store and used the money to build a large extension onto the Dagenham Store. Robertsons of Dagenham now one of the largest tackle shops in the South of England, and probably the best stocked.

In 2011 Sam Dear was made a Director and now manages the Dagenham store, under the watchful eye of Bob the Rod… Jeff is the official tackle tester.

Robbo`s is a friendly family type store. Amongst the staff are experts in almost all forms of fishing, we have no pushy sales people, but are happy to spend time and help customers find what they need. Prices are very competitive and everyone gets a deal. The range is vast, obviously virtually every major brand is in stock, and the store is large enough to display everything.

The kettle never gets cold, we are serious about our business, but like to have a laugh doing it. Robertsons is the type of shop we would want to buy tackle in !!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”