A couple of projects for the future

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Coral Maestro
Chub

A couple of projects for the future

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've been eyeing up the bamboo thicket in the garden with a view to making some float tubes and a landing net handle in the future. I decided to cut a couple of culms and season them.

I also had a suitable sized culm that blew down in strong winds that's been seasoning outside for about a year.

I've hung them up in the barn while they season.

I've not tried this before so was wondering if any of the forum members had any idea how long they'll take to season?
Any suggestions as to how to prepare the bamboo once it's seasoned would be much appreciated (how to straighten the culms, best way to treat the nodes etc).
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: A couple of projects for the future

Post by Santiago »

I once tried seasoning green bamboo and it just went limp. I suspect its best harvested in the autumn.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

The straw coloured culm has been lying flat outside for the last year or so. It's hard and still has a circular cross section so I think it'll be ok. It still has some green areas which suggest it hasn't fully seasoned yet.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

So, 3 years have now lapsed since the last post on this thread so I thought it was about time I did something with the bamboo I cut. It looks well seasoned and is a nice colour.
I picked a landing net handle sized piece and used a heat gun to straighten it. I then sanded off the nodes.
I drilled a hole in the thin end to allow a 3/8" BSF threaded brass insert to be glued in with epoxy. The insert is about 3" long so hopefully that will cope with lots of heavy fish!
I drilled a hole in the thick end and glued in an oak stopper that I'd turned previously. The whole pole was dressed with heavy duty thread and the top section with the brass insert reinforced.
This species of bamboo has a prominent sulcus groove which makes the thread susceptible to damage where it crosses the groove so I expect the thread to wear or break in those areas. I treated the pole and whippings with 6 coats of danish oil which I've never tried before so hopefully it'll do a good job of protecting it. All I have to do now is go out and use it!
- Jack Hargreaves.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

A nice job there, I am sure that not many of us can boast a home grown Landing net pole.
From Garden to Waterside.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Very nice too.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Excellent
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Well done, certainly a nice job

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Very nice, well done.

Duckett
Tench

Re: A couple of projects for the fu

Post by Duckett »

That looks fantastic! Also, a fitting tribute to the delayed gratification which all anglers must learn to appreciate or else stray too far from their chosen path.

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”