3/8 BSF threading

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Kingfisher
Catfish

3/8 BSF threading

Post by Kingfisher »

Obviously the 3/8 threading didn't get updated because it meant that it couldn't be copied or atleast that's my take on it.

I spent hours browsing last night, seeing if I could come up with a metric size of what I could now use to make some rod rest heads and I know this has been touched upon on this forum before but it gets me so confused at times and then I just give up on the project. I was thinking of buying some pea canes and wipping them into rod rests, using arrow heads at the base to poke into the ground and then whatever I could come up with to screw any normal rod rest head into.

I got as far as finding the charts that tell you the size comparison and then started surfing the net for threads in that size. 3/8BSF threads used is (I think) if I've got it right 20 TPI (threads per inch) and so I need a thread of 20tpi in 15.24mm nuts and bolts.

There, that's as far as I've got and I can't find anything.

Anyone else have a way around this? Please don't mention a tap and die set because that would be completely out of my capability. I don't have many tools and only a small vice. I think it would be stupid for me to even attempt such a job.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: 3/8 BSF threading

Post by Loop Erimder »

Matty boy if you are simply making rod rest heads and sticks for that sole purpose then does it matter what size threads you use? B&Q long nuts and bolts.....
Make a few different heads make several bank sticks all to accommodate your own personal and private bespoke heads and sticks.....if you want :Cool:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Well, the idea was that if I managed to make the rod rests then I would then make a landing net handle and a net.

Izaak Walton

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

3/8" is .375 of a inch which is 9.525mm so you could use 10.mm nuts and bolts the pitch of which 1.5mm. 3/8 bsf has as you rightly say 20 tpi , that works out as a pitch of 1.27mm.
If I read your question correctly your after something that looks right? You won't find a exact metric equivalent that will accept a bsf rod rest head. :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Many thanks Paul D for taking the time to help. All said and done though I think I'll do it Loop's way.

It's not really that I couldn't use a tap but after all the expense I think I'd be better off compromising.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Matthew, as others have said, if you are making everything yourself go for M10, as it's very easily available in stainless steel too. You could use these drop in concrete anchors glued inside bamboo for screwing the rest heads into etc.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-M8-M10-M12 ... EIAJJHmS1A

And a short piece of stainless studding to join them together.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-Marine-Gra ... Cc64Tz6h9A

No connection to sellers, just picked at random to show the materials.

If you are going to use standard rod rests and nets then you will of course need to use 3/8 bsf which is hard to find these days but if you can find a cheap supply of buzz bars you can salvage most of the parts to make things. Something like this, again no connection to seller just an example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Stainless ... WDb5oeKqxg

Wal.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Many thanks Wal, I'll do it that way then. I have already bought some m10 steel threaded bar and nuts as the idea had already crossed my mind. I need to make some things for my trip to Redmire in September so that My kit looks right. :Hat:

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Matt, I have BSF and metric taps and dies if you get stuck for anything in particular let me know and I'll try and make it for you.

Wal.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Just had a brainwave, unusual I now but you could always buy some cheap bank sticks and cut off/out the threaded bit, I've seen some horrible plastic ones that had a brass insert moulded in.... just a thought. :Confused:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I normally use the brass tops of old bank sticks ground down to fit relevant old rod ferrules and riveted to secure in place. Also as Paul says I use the studs from old plastic rod rests so I can turn the brass in a drill to get them to fit the ferrules. This also makes polishing the brass for bluing. Image Image
Hope that makes sense
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”