Bottle top bite indicators

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Tizer
Chub

Re: Bottle top bite indicators

Post by Tizer »

Reedling wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am I was just about to do the washing up when I realised I had run out of that 'mild green liquid' so had to replenish our smaller bottle. I decanted the dregs from an old large bottle and was about to throw it away when my thoughts went back to using a bottle top as a butt indicator. The modern tops are of a hinged snap variety without that little looped hole that the line ran through whilst dangling between the rings, so I had an idea. I got out my little drill and made a hole in the hinge so that now I have one of those old school bottle top indicators to use when I fish next. If extra weight was required you could always press a lump of blue tac or putty where the thread is. Here are a couple of pictures that I took just now of before and after.. a bit rough but, I am sure you catch my drift.....

I did some of them as well,great minds think alike ,as they say,I didnt drill a hole,I just snipped a bit out,keeping the hinge,happy days

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I use the yellow kinder egg containers for making pike drop off indicators you can put weight inside them if required and they are highly visible I fix them to fibreglass rods with a clip on the egg container for the line and a clothes peg on the other side to attach to the bank stick.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I use the yellow kinder egg containers for making pike drop off indicators you can put weight inside them if required and they are highly visible I fix them to fibreglass rods with a clip on the egg container for the line and a clothes peg on the other side to attach to the bank stick.

Tinca10
Ruffe

Post by Tinca10 »

You can stiII get the oId styIe bottIetops from 'The Range'- they contain PVA glue for papier mache, £1 each, Last time I bought them

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Tinca10 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm You can stiII get the oId styIe bottIetops from 'The Range'- they contain PVA glue for papier mache, £1 each, Last time I bought them
Yeap,I got some of them as well boy,only thing is they are twice the size of the old ones and only in red, :Thumb:

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Forgot to say you can get them in the pound shop,love looking round there.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Nice, I still have one very old fairy liquid top that's done 30 years service...

BendSomeCane
Crucian Carp

Post by BendSomeCane »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:36 pm I use the yellow kinder egg containers for making pike drop off indicators you can put weight inside them if required and they are highly visible I fix them to fibreglass rods with a clip on the egg container for the line and a clothes peg on the other side to attach to the bank stick.
Can you post a picture please dear Shropshire Lad , im rather interested.
Thank you

Bendsomecane
http://bendsomecane.blogspot.com/
By the grace of god a Yorkist

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I have had a couple of old ones for a few years but lost both this year which is really frustrating. :Cry:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”