silkweed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
St.John
Tench

silkweed

Post by St.John »

I picked up a book called the art of angling a few months ago and silkweed was recommend as a chub and barbel bait. That's a new one on me.... So....... Anyone tried it?
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

GloucesterOldSpot

Re: silkweed

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

st.john wrote:I picked up a book called the art of angling a few months ago and silkweed was recommend as a chub and barbel bait. That's a new one on me.... So....... Anyone tried it?
Yep. Had roach and dace on it many years ago from a weirpool on the Hertfordshire Beane. Not used it for a long time as I've not found any when I've wanted it. It works best in fast water, but grows best in slow water. I call it the Whitehead Dichotomy, after Ken W who wrote the eminently useful 'Step By Step Guide to Freshwater Baits' (Cassell) which includes some mention of the stuff.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Hang on a mo, I've seen an article in one of my old mags about that. Think it might have been Peter Stone. I'll try to dig it out and scan it up.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Amazing. Thought I'd have thrown you with that one. I'll have to try harder! Spot's obviously a dab hand at this..... Or an old hand!!

GloucesterOldSpot

st.john wrote:Amazing. Thought I'd have thrown you with that one. I'll have to try harder! Spot's obviously a dab hand at this..... Or an old hand!!
Neither - just read too many old books! Silkweed has been recomended by many anglers, from Ted Ensome to John Wilson. Walker certainly used and wrote about it, as did Stone, Taylor et al.

If it's obscure baits you're after, try this one: a small piece of red rag soaked in petrol (from Fine Angling For Coarse Fish). Supposed to be a good bait for dace...

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Thought I had it....

From ANGLING in June 1978

Hang on, does this make me REALLY sad!!!! :think:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

No it just means your've got a lot of old angling magazines. :wink:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I like the way this is going! Nice one spot. Wd40's one I've been told about a few times. My grandfather once gave me one..... 'right sinj, if you want a bait that'll literally make fish jump out of the water onto the bank I've got one for you' of course my ears pricked up at this...'go on pops, what's that then?' 'Laxatives my boy, by a pack and mix them with bread crumb and use it as groundbait'... 'really pop's what's so good about that? They don't smell of much'... At which he lent back in his armchair and said.....'works a treat son.... There's no toilets in the river'

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I'm off to the chemist.....
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

GloucesterOldSpot

st.john wrote:I like the way this is going! Nice one spot. Wd40's one I've been told about a few times. My grandfather once gave me one..... 'right sinj, if you want a bait that'll literally make fish jump out of the water onto the bank I've got one for you' of course my ears pricked up at this...'go on pops, what's that then?' 'Laxatives my boy, by a pack and mix them with bread crumb and use it as groundbait'... 'really pop's what's so good about that? They don't smell of much'... At which he lent back in his armchair and said.....'works a treat son.... There's no toilets in the river'
I've heard of the WD40 trick before. I think some salmon anglers annoint their lures with it. Not being a salmon angler I cannot say whether it works.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”