jumbo hempseed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Troydog
Tench

Re: jumbo hempseed

Post by Troydog »

I just fish the small seed on a size 18. It catches just as well as the larger tare, fished at the same time. If there are roach around, a dropper of casters can then make for an excellent bag of fish. Casters are not always necessary but on some days, after a couple of hours on hemp and tare, they can really make a difference.....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Bought some from angling direct, largest I have seen for some time. Will use smaller stuff as feed, fishing this on hook. Went back to get another packet, non in! Just my luck, I was going to buy banksy one. :doh: ImageImage

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

That looks like quality hemp, Peter! :Thumb:
You can tell by the colour that it's going to cook well, unlike the last batch I bought from the tackle shop.
Light as a feather, and nearly white - obviously dried out, and even after two days soaking and two hours simmering, almost half of it floated.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I agree with Troydog that swapping hookbaits can revitalise sport. On the drains I found that switching to caster or maggot got more bites for a while when it slowed down I'd just revert to hemp.

For hookbaits I reckon these are pretty good. Not traditional? In the old days guys would glue a black bead to the hook and often paint that hook white to represent a split bait. https://enterprisetackle.co.uk/et25-artificial-hemp

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

many years ago when I used to fish Danson park in Kent where there were plenty of Roach up to and over 2lb we firstly used caster and then Hemp. To pick out the monsters that lurked there we used Tares on the hook with Hemp as a loose feed. When we used Tares on there own they rarely produced goods but one on the hook with hemp fooled them big uns. That was a time wen you could target just Roach on a lake, nowadays carp predominate and it is hard to fish fine.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Can remember fishing the Trent near Weston, Derby, in an invitation friendly. Fished hemp all the match and from memory had about 35lbs of an all roach catch, they were complete with dark green backs and orange cheek spots. Came 4th, I think, beaten by catches of barbel and chub.
Wouldn't have swopped that catch for the winners weight.
Tight lines all.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”