Natural baits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Cat
Chub

Re: Natural baits

Post by Cat »

So, does this mean I can't use grey squirrel as bait (and as a consequence, scupper my record pike plan)!?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A problem with signal crays is that were you to use a pregnant female in a water other then the one where is was caught, you could seed that water with it's own pest community.

One bait thus far unmentioned is the grasshopper. They can be 'dapped' for chub and will work trotted too.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

How about silkweed?
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Make or purchase a wormery...if I remember correctly, Marshall-Hardy describes making using one in 'Angling Ways' (I stand to be corrected), but they are pretty straight forward to set up / use...the other alternative is having a good root around in a composter. Just don't get too attached to the product!

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Regardless of laws, and morals, I couldn't bring myself to eat Carp - I don't see the appeal at all. The nickname "mudpig" makes it even less appetizing. Now, a nice fresh Salmon is something else. Where did I put my gaff? :whistle:
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Cat wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 pm Make or purchase a wormery...if I remember correctly, Marshall-Hardy describes making using one in 'Angling Ways' (I stand to be corrected), but they are pretty straight forward to set up / use...the other alternative is having a good root around in a composter. Just don't get too attached to the product!
I am considering it, a nice fresh supply of worms would be excellent
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Santiago wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm How about silkweed?
I stood on a footbridge above the Dearne last summer watching a 1-2lb Roach eating bits of Silkweed that came down in the current. I don't know why I have never thought about using it, especially after witnessing that.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Yes, I'll read up on it...I wonder if different types of compost produce different worms, or its dependent upon what you introduce?

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Cat wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm Yes, I'll read up on it...I wonder if different types of compost produce different worms, or its dependent upon what you introduce?
I'm not too sure, maybe somebody with more knowledge will come along and inform you. However, you may be correct as I understand Dendrobaena are bred in compost, Brandlings can be found in horse manure, and red worm can be found in Chicken manure.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Many , many moons ago, myself and a friend used to have permission to fish a small farm lake (about 1/2 acre). The place was magical, both with what was in the water and what was surrounding the water. We set off on our bikes for the 6 mile trip but realised, when setting up that neither of us had picked up any bait!
We improvised with whatever we had, namely our lunch, until we had exhausted that supply and then went on a hunt for likely natural baits. I then remembered that I had a small pocket full of currants that I had taken to feed the ever present very friendly Robin-we tried them and caught! Not the usual haul from the lake but a good catch non the less with tench, roach, rudd, small carp and even a perch falling for the currants.
I caught a stockie rainbow once that looked very lean but with a definite odd looking bulge to its abdomen. Once in the kitchen sink it soon became apparent what was causing the bulge-about 15" of white flat trainer lace perfectly concertinaed up inside its gut, oh and a fag butt as well!
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”