Natural baits

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Joshluke
Dace

Re: Natural baits

Post by Joshluke »

Reedling wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Olly wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm It is illegal to use Crayfish - of any sort.

EA Byelaw: -
You may not use crayfish of any species, whether alive or dead, (including any part of a
crayfish) when fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters. This is a
national byelaw
Am I right in saying that any pest species like this that is caught cannot be returned to the water and must be destroyed, the same goes for grey squirrels on land. If returned an offence is committed.
That's what I thought, the bright side is both Crayfish, and grey squirrel make for good eating.
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Joshluke wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Olly wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm It is illegal to use Crayfish - of any sort.

You may not use crayfish of any species, whether alive or dead, (including any part of a
crayfish) when fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters. This is a
national byelaw
Am I right in saying that any pest species like this that is caught cannot be returned to the water and must be destroyed, the same goes for grey squirrels on land. If returned an offence is committed.

That's what I thought, the bright side is both Crayfish, and grey squirrel make for good eating.
:Thumb: Win win :Wink:

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Reedling wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm

national byelaw

Most definitely, so the next time you accidentally drop a baited cage in the river, or forget a box filled with nuts in the woods, and by sheer coincidence a very tasty pest happens to wander into one of them just remember you would be breaking the law to let them go. Of course, it would all happen by being clumsy, and misplacing things. We're not poachers after all :whistle: :Hahaha:
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Joshluke wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm
Reedling wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm

national byelaw

Most definitely, so the next time you accidentally drop a baited cage in the river, or forget a box filled with nuts in the woods, and by sheer coincidence a very tasty pest happens to wander into one of them just remember you would be breaking the law to let them go. Of course, it would all happen by being clumsy, and misplacing things. We're not poachers after all :whistle: :Hahaha:
In my younger days :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :Wink:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Yes, it's illegal to return non native species. However, this law is a bit of a joke where some non natives are concerned, like zander for example!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Santiago wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:06 pm Yes, it's illegal to return non native species. However, this law is a bit of a joke where some non natives are concerned, like zander for example!
and carp!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

:tumbleweed:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yep - I specialize in catching them varmints! They eat my bird food! Fox enjoys them as a treat.

There is a whole list of "unwelcome" introductions - from water plants to a species of deer!

If Natural England had its way - ALL carp would be removed!

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Catfish pie anyone? :Wink:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Both sorts, Silure & Brown Bullhead catfish, are eaten in the EU and a different type of catfish in the USA.

The only reason we have mirror carp is because the housewife hated descaling the carp!

A bit of info---- https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley ... 00.00538.x

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”