CRUST FOR BARBEL

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

CRUST FOR BARBEL

Post by Bobthefloat »

I'm sorry as I'm sure this has been covered many times before but I can't find what I'm looking for.
I've used bread for Barbel to very good effect in the past but have only used flake. I've heard of anglers using crust for Barbel and was wondering how it was fished.
Do you pin it down with a shot ? Long tail or short ? Link ledger or sliding lead?
Also how would you prepare the crust?
Uncut bread or sliced?
Any advice would be very much appreciated guys :Hat:
Last edited by Bobthefloat on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: CRUST FOR BARBEL

Post by Penninelad »

It was my most successful bait when I fished on the Severn around Shrewsbury.I would cut small circles of sliced white bread and crust with a small pastry cutter and then bag them up and freeze them.Get them out the night before fishing to defrost.Fish on a hair rig in one's,two's,three's with with soft green grass as a stop.Fish in conjunction with a cage feeder containing liquids sliced white bread.Very effective for chub as well.
Mark Davies

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Only ever had 2 barbel on bread - both whilst chubbing. One at 6-7lb and the other 9ish.

For chub and "accidental" barbel :-
Flake is usually on a longish hook-length - 18 in +.
Whilst crust is on a shorter one to keep it near the bottom - 4-6 in.

Both barbel and chub are usually in the same swim/location so I am surprised I have not had more!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

As crust is buoyant, make sure you have either a short hooklink or a shot big enough to keep it down an inch or two from the hook.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Check out the second post in this thread Terry from a few years back. Bumble is the crust master when it comes to barbel.
Russ
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=8009&hilit=Doorstep+hovis

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I love the term crust master but I am not worthy of such a title for many years Martin James told me what a good bait Crust was for Barbel but I couldn't get my head around it.
I would start fishing with crust but after a short period of no action I would switch to paste. I ended up only taking crust so the was no alternative and the Barbel started to come on a regular basis.
Bumble

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Bumble wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:55 am I love the term crust master but I am not worthy of such a title for many years Martin James told me what a good bait Crust was for Barbel but I couldn't get my head around it.
I would start fishing with crust but after a short period of no action I would switch to paste. I ended up only taking crust so the was no alternative and the Barbel started to come on a regular basis.
Bumble
Would you fish it straight from the bag ? As I've heard of people freezing the crust and flavouring it.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Thank you for all your replies. I also had a nice email from Martin James explaining the subject in detail
A true gentlemen such as yourselves :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”