Gentleman's Relish & Anchovy Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Gentleman's Relish & Anchovy Paste

Post by Duckett »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Duckett wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:31 pm
Reedling wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm Funny how something can have two meanings, my wife's mum keeps telling us she loves her morning glory in the garden. :whistle:
I have a Czech friend who teaches, amongst other languages, English to Czech children. She always says that this sort of thing is one of the delights of English, as spoken in the U.K. She always tells her students that English is one of the easiest of languages to learn but can take a lifetime to understand.

At a beer festival many years ago, I tried to explain to her the multiple levels of meaning in a brew from the seaside called Willy’s Old Groyne!
A few years ago my wife and I were given a short lift late one night up a steep hill from the railway station in Corniglia in the Cinqueterre (a lovely place but now completely overrun for most of the year by day-trippers bussed in in huge numbers from the immense cruise ships docking at Genoa and La Spezia). At the entrance to the village was a set of speed bumps and I got a lot of laughs by telling them that in the UK these were known as poliziotti addormentati ('sleeping policemen'). Kind of chimed with general Italian attitudes about the police.
Do you know Iain, I had completely forgotten that name for them. I'm so used to them just being speed humps in London. I'm going to mention your story to my Italian neighbours and my Czech friend! A lovely example of gentle linguistic culture clash.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Duckett wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm
MarkG wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am I know its not the same thing but on the paste theme I have had some good results using the common spreads in supermarkets mixed with flour into a paste, salmon,shrimp and crab the best ones. Open a jar of salmon paste and there is a nice bit of oil on top and it contains paprika and salt. never got into trying the meaty ones much beef and chicken as the fishy ones worked out well. Carp loved the salmon one in particular, makes a red paste. Tried then on rivers but eels were very attracted to them which was a problem but in an eel free environment worth experiment with and cheap as well at .50p a jar. bream liked them all and I think chub and roach might go for them if you find the right one.

I think there is an Anchovy spread but I never tired it, maybe a bit strong smelling whereas the salmon/shrimp are gentler and those little jars are full of fish attractants!
Thanks for this. That's a great suggestion. As someone who lived in Yorkshire for 2 years, it also has a cost appeal!!!

Can I ask what proportion of flour to paste you find stays on the hook? I've had a problem with this going back decades!
Sorry Duckett, been away a while and just spotted your question-With the sandwich pastes I would just start with a little flour in a china bowl and scoop out all the paste from the paste jar using a fork and scrape it into the bowl. Then keep adding flour and mash it in with the fork, it goes very sticky so avoided using fingers. Just keep going until the paste goes dry-ish and forms a stiff paste and not sticky to the touch. One jar would provide about a large orange sized ball. I found this OK to put straight on the hook or a bit of grass on the bend of the hook to give a bit more holding power. bread crumbs might work as well but I never tried them.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

MarkG wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 pm
Duckett wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:24 pm
MarkG wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am I know its not the same thing but on the paste theme I have had some good results using the common spreads in supermarkets mixed with flour into a paste, salmon,shrimp and crab the best ones. Open a jar of salmon paste and there is a nice bit of oil on top and it contains paprika and salt. never got into trying the meaty ones much beef and chicken as the fishy ones worked out well. Carp loved the salmon one in particular, makes a red paste. Tried then on rivers but eels were very attracted to them which was a problem but in an eel free environment worth experiment with and cheap as well at .50p a jar. bream liked them all and I think chub and roach might go for them if you find the right one.

I think there is an Anchovy spread but I never tired it, maybe a bit strong smelling whereas the salmon/shrimp are gentler and those little jars are full of fish attractants!
Thanks for this. That's a great suggestion. As someone who lived in Yorkshire for 2 years, it also has a cost appeal!!!

Can I ask what proportion of flour to paste you find stays on the hook? I've had a problem with this going back decades!
Sorry Duckett, been away a while and just spotted your question-With the sandwich pastes I would just start with a little flour in a china bowl and scoop out all the paste from the paste jar using a fork and scrape it into the bowl. Then keep adding flour and mash it in with the fork, it goes very sticky so avoided using fingers. Just keep going until the paste goes dry-ish and forms a stiff paste and not sticky to the touch. One jar would provide about a large orange sized ball. I found this OK to put straight on the hook or a bit of grass on the bend of the hook to give a bit more holding power. bread crumbs might work as well but I never tried them.
Many thanks for this Mark, I shall give it a try …… though I always use finest lead crystal bowls for making my paste :Wink: :Wink: :Wink:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

And get one of the servants to do it for you :x I will add, once you got the paste dry-ish and not sticky you can take the paste out of the bowl and knead it on a hard surface like a bread dough, you can then add a little flour at a time and knead it in or add a little water if you go too dry until you get it just right.
I find they make good pastes, the salmon or shrimp ones the best for tench and carp but many flavors to experiment with. Tight lines.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”