Elderberry as bait (and how can it be preserved?)

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Elderberry as bait (and how can it be preserved?)

Post by Dave Burr »

Richard C wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 am No tips, but thoughts? Only one.

Fish feed on elderberries and they're excepted as a natural food source during the Summer. Then presumably, they will be accustomed to when they are available.
To offer them in Winter as a preserved bait, for instance, would it not appear unnatural and be ignored by the fish?
Surely then, the time to use them was when they're in season? If that is indeed true. I base my opinion on my own personal thought and not fact,
I've never used them.
If fish like the flavour then experiment with that instead. I see artificial Elderberries and indeed 'washed out' artificial Elderberries on your ever growing shopping list Phil. :Chuckle:
Rich, I doubt that fish look at their Playfish calendars (whoar, look at the pectorals on Miss June) and think "Hmm, elderberries will be falling soon, must head for that overhanging bush" Fish don't 'think' they react and will seize on a feeding opportunity when it arrises be it elderberries, bread, maggots or whatever. Berries are just another edible item and, if introduced to their diet, will be eaten. It may be that they prefer fresh to frozen but that's to be found out.

Remember, corn in it's natural state is all but inedible yet fish eat grains from the tin whatever the time of year.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Fair enough to comprehend Mucker. As I said I only surmise, never tried personally.
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pmRemember, corn in it's natural state is all but inedible yet fish eat grains from the tin whatever the time of year.
I always classed sweetcorn as a 'natural' bait. Fairly indigestible in any form cooked or otherwise. But I fathomed that it finds it way into our waterways in it's own way? On the same principal that Mullet are caught on corn from a sewage outfall for instance. :Confused:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Richard C wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm Fair enough to comprehend Mucker. As I said I only surmise, never tried personally.
Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:03 pmRemember, corn in it's natural state is all but inedible yet fish eat grains from the tin whatever the time of year.
I always classed sweetcorn as a 'natural' bait. Fairly indigestible in any form cooked or otherwise. But I fathomed that it finds it way into our waterways in it's own way? On the same principal that Mullet are caught on corn from a sewage outfall for instance. :Confused:

I presume we are talking floater fishing Rich :tea:

Sweetcorn was born, as a bait, at Redmire when Chris Yates had a fish on it when he carried out a 'particle' experiment. He and Rod Hutchinson immediately visited the village shop and bought every tin. I doubt the carp had been introduced to it by anglers dropping freebies whilst crouching in the undergrowth or from tree branches. As for mullet, they'll eat anything. :Happy:

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 pm Just make elderberry wine forget the fishing and enjoy🍷 :Wink:
Personally I could go along with RB on this one. Purchased these little jelly beauties from a well know auction site and have found them excellent when fishing hemp/tares and elderberries, especially on these No. 12 hooks also from you know where, although I whiten the shanks. No need to preserve them.

Stour Otter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm
Richard C wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm Fair enough to comprehend Mucker. As I said I only surmise, never tried personally.

I presume we are talking floater fishing Rich :tea:

Sweetcorn was born, as a bait, at Redmire when Chris Yates had a fish on it when he carried out a 'particle' experiment. He and Rod Hutchinson immediately visited the village shop and bought every tin. I doubt the carp had been introduced to it by anglers dropping freebies whilst crouching in the undergrowth or from tree branches. As for mullet, they'll eat anything. :Happy:
Sweetcorn was being used as a bait long before Yates fished Redmire. Ron Clay wrote an article in 1974 describing the use of a single grain of corn on a bent hook with a fixed lead, a method he learnt in South Africa where it had been used 'for many years'.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Stour Otter wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:33 pm
RBTraditional wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 pm Just make elderberry wine forget the fishing and enjoy🍷 :Wink:
Personally I could go along with RB on this one. Purchased these little jelly beauties from a well know auction site and have found them excellent when fishing hemp/tares and elderberries, especially on these No. 12 hooks also from you know where, although I whiten the shanks. No need to preserve them.

Stour Otter
Now they do look very good!

However, I have an urge to really have a go with the proper thing and the challenge being that they only stay fresh on the tree for a few days.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Fish feed on elderberries and they're excepted as a natural food source during the Summer. Then presumably, they will be accustomed to when they are available.
To offer them in Winter as a preserved bait, for instance, would it not appear unnatural and be ignored by the fish?
Surely then, the time to use them was when they're in season? If that is indeed true. I base my opinion on my own personal thought and not fact,
I've never used them.
If fish like the flavour then experiment with that instead. I see artificial Elderberries and indeed 'washed out' artificial Elderberries on your ever growing shopping list Phil. :Chuckle:
Hi Rich, I don't intend to use them in the winter but as they stay ripe on the tree for only a short period of time, I would like to harvest some for later in the summer/autumn.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I've never used them.
At the risk of going off topic, I will expand on a private joke hidden in the final sentence here. I have been having a little fun at the expense of Enterprise Tackle on FB, which I will share here if I may. The funny thing is that one chap actually thought I was serious (another suggested hair rigged Lego bricks as bait!)...

Last edited by Tengisgol on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mr Humm you are showing clear signs of advanced years cynicism and don't let that naughty Cleaver boy encourage you, you know what he's like :Sarcasm:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Dave Burr wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 pm Mr Humm you are showing clear signs of advanced years cynicism and don't let that naughty Cleaver boy encourage you, you know what he's like :Sarcasm:
That Sir, from a High Priest in the Art, is praise indeed!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”