Flavouring Luncheon Meat

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Mark »

When sprinkling on curry powder, turmeric or any other kind of powder flavouring into a bag of diced or punched luncheon meat I have read that it is best to freeze it overnight as it absorbs the powder better rather than just leaving in the bag overnight.

Is there any truth to this chaps. :Confused:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Hovis
Tench

Re: Flavouring Luncheon Meat

Post by Hovis »

I've always fry mine. A little oil on a low heat then sprinkle in the spice of choice, add the meat the fry for 3/4 mins. I then bag the whole lot, oil and all.

It should be noted that this should be done on a low heat to prevent burning the spice and making it bitter.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Mark wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm When sprinkling on curry powder, turmeric or any other kind of powder flavouring into a bag of diced or punched luncheon meat I have read that it is best to freeze it overnight as it absorbs the powder better rather than just leaving in the bag overnight.

Apparently so Mark, its when it defrost's that the flavour gets absorbed, I must admit I've used a couple of those glug/dips that are available, far easier to dip your pre-hooked meat in and cast out, saves smelly fingers as well. :Hat:
Apparently a quick dip in Marmite works. :secret:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Paul D wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:20 pm
Mark wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm When sprinkling on curry powder, turmeric or any other kind of powder flavouring into a bag of diced or punched luncheon meat I have read that it is best to freeze it overnight as it absorbs the powder better rather than just leaving in the bag overnight.

Apparently so Mark, its when it defrost's that the flavour gets absorbed, I must admit I've used a couple of those glug/dips that are available, far easier to dip your pre-hooked meat in and cast out, saves smelly fingers as well. :Hat:
How can you have a quick dip in marmite.......its like tar....although delicious I would not want to try and jump in a pot of the stuff
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Loop Erimder wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pmHow can you have a quick dip in marmite.......its like tar....although delicious I would not want to try and jump in a pot of the stuff
It's quite simple ... after all ... I have a quick dip in bath water once a year, whether I need it or not !!! :Wink: :Ok: :Wink: :Ok: :Wink:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Marmite used to be really thick dense solid stuff, now its almost like a liquid -- you can dip breadsticks in it.
However they do ( or did a few years ago ) still sell the original recipe Marmite in sothern African countries. Its made under licence in South Africa to the original recipe.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Loop Erimder wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:30 pm
Paul D wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:20 pm

How can you have a quick dip in marmite.......its like tar....although delicious I would not want to try and jump in a pot of the stuff
Why do I bother... :Tongue:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes Mark,
it's all in Archie Braddocks magic book of bait flavouring. A small book but worth finding if you are interested in alternative baits.

Wal.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

it's a method that works with a whole variety of baits... meat, boilies, chic peas, etc :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Thank you chaps. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”