Cooking Hemp, new method (For Me)

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Cooking Hemp, new method (For Me)

Post by Match Aerial »

Sounds good may give that one a try.
Cheers

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Michael wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm Presumably steaming hemp, wheat, tares and similar particle baits, they will retain more of their original flavour, colour and nutrients, since there will be no leeching out into the water, during boiling, just a thought......
If you cook the hemp by exhaustion (i.e. use only as much water as is needed to cook it and be absorbed) then the oils etc expressed by the seeds in cooking will remain in the cooking liquid and coat the seeds. According to some sources the hemp oils are powerful attractants.

This kind of cooking is very easily done by microwave. I've found various things on line about doing this and they all tend to converge on the following: put equal parts hemp and boiling water in a microwave cooking vessel (if you're using bicarb add this now); give it 5 minutes on full then rest for an hour or so; reheat at 10 minutes on full, then allow to cool. This will retain just about all the original oils etc. I think it may be possible to adapt this by e.g. extending the initial cooking time but at a much lower power level such as 'simmer' or 'defrost' so that only a single cooking stage is needed.

Strangely similar to the way I cook rice: equal parts rice (Patna, Basmati, Thai Jasmine or sticky etc etc) and boiling water and a pinch of salt in a microwave cooking vessel; 10 minutes at simmer (around 20% power); shake the vessel; serve. Perfect rice every time. NB Does not work with brown rice or risotto.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 am
Michael wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 pm Presumably steaming hemp, wheat, tares and similar particle baits, they will retain more of their original flavour, colour and nutrients, since there will be no leeching out into the water, during boiling, just a thought......
If you cook the hemp by exhaustion (i.e. use only as much water as is needed to cook it and be absorbed) then the oils etc expressed by the seeds in cooking will remain in the cooking liquid and coat the seeds. According to some sources the hemp oils are powerful attractants.

This kind of cooking is very easily done by microwave. I've found various things on line about doing this and they all tend to converge on the following: put equal parts hemp and boiling water in a microwave cooking vessel (if you're using bicarb add this now); give it 5 minutes on full then rest for an hour or so; reheat at 10 minutes on full, then allow to cool. This will retain just about all the original oils etc. I think it may be possible to adapt this by e.g. extending the initial cooking time but at a much lower power level such as 'simmer' or 'defrost' so that only a single cooking stage is needed.

Strangely similar to the way I cook rice: equal parts rice (Patna, Basmati, Thai Jasmine or sticky etc etc) and boiling water and a pinch of salt in a microwave cooking vessel; 10 minutes at simmer (around 20% power); shake the vessel; serve. Perfect rice every time. NB Does not work with brown rice or risotto.
Stathamender, cooking the hemp using the microwave method, does this process produce a "house filling" aroma by any chance?....

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Michael wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm
Stathamender, cooking the hemp using the microwave method, does this process produce a "house filling" aroma by any chance?....
I'll let you know after I've tried it. As the cooking vessel is closed and the microwave is closed this should minimise it. It may be that the 'wave will need a good clean afterwards and accounts I've seen suggest an old cheap one is used for this one as it's a fairly unsophisticated process. Depending on whether or not there's play tomorrow at OT, I'll head down to Dawson's get some hemp and give it a go.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

I used to cook it the pressure cooker even with the doors and windows open you can sell it for hours after.
Not worth the hassle
Now I just cook it overnight in a thermos flask.
The steamer mite be ok at least we could cook it in the garage.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:19 pm
Michael wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:52 pm
I'll let you know after I've tried it. As the cooking vessel is closed and the microwave is closed this should minimise it. It may be that the 'wave will need a good clean afterwards and accounts I've seen suggest an old cheap one is used for this one as it's a fairly unsophisticated process. Depending on whether or not there's play tomorrow at OT, I'll head down to Dawson's get some hemp and give it a go.
I tried this last night and there's good news and bad news. The good news is that there's hardly any smell from cooking in a lidded container in the 'wave and that which there is is a not unpleasant herbal aroma (though not 'erbal). The bad news is that it appears to take much longer to cook than the suggested method and needs more water. I tried the method proposed: equal measures water and seed; ten minutes on full; wait two hours; another ten minutes on full and there wasn't even any cracking in the seeds. It took another hour on simmer (20% setting) to achieve this for around 80% of seeds. This was, however, without bicarb. This may make a difference to cooking time as well as colour. I'm off to get some then I'll try again.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

if you get a old stainless flask with a wide neck used for stews etc then near filling it with hemp tares etc, add hot water change after an hour or so then refill with hot water and flavours you want left over night usually does the trick for a quick fix.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Aquaerial wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:45 am if you get a old stainless flask with a wide neck used for stews etc then near filling it with hemp tares etc, add hot water change after an hour or so then refill with hot water and flavours you want left over night usually does the trick for a quick fix.
The thermos method is my usual one but I thought it was worth trying out the microwave one to see if it had any advantages.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I can't see why boiling isn't as good, especially if you use the liquid to make up your ground bait? Advice please....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I still find using an old slow cooker and cooking the hemp overnight and letting it cool naturally my preferred method. Keep the remaining liquid and add it to your ground bait, but steaming would be ideal for smaller quantities.
Mark Davies

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”