Raisins

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Ian
Eel

Raisins

Post by Ian »

Someone once told me that raisins were once used as a hookbait,can anyone confirm this as I was thinking of giving them a go,would I need to steep them in water first,thanks
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Bjp
Chub

Re: Raisins

Post by Bjp »

Have a look at this great channel by the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46aXMSEZfig

regards

bjp :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

'Faddist' (Edward Ensom) simply said of fruits in his book "Baits and Groundbaits" (Pub. Gilbertson and Page. 1st ed. 1950) :-

"Cuts and cubes from fruit of all kind may be used," though he doesn't mention raisins by name ... though he does mention "bananas are generally useful, red currants have accounted for dace, and the liking of chub for cherries (stones first being removed) and small strawberries is well known."

Soaking them may prove beneficial, though soaking them in 'self raisin flour' might prove fruitful. (Sorry ... I couldn't resist that !!! :Scared: )

On a serious note, I think maybe soaking them in the juices from preparing some hemp may be an idea worth trying.

There's a discussion in a thread on Anglersnet.co.uk from 2010 which suggests that they attract carp/tench/crucian/roach/chub/bream ...

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/inde ... 5-raisins/
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Brilliant,looks like the guy was right.i must now give them a try for roach,cheers for that.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Rod Hutchinson went through the entire particle range many moons ago and he used sultanas but I do not recall him using raisins. He doubtless did but I think sultanas were superior. If you read old Yates book and there's a reference to a carp being caught on a slug it generally refers to one caught on sultana - it was all a bit secret squirrel at the time.

Fred Crouch caught barbel on peas. Broad beans have always been good as have kidney beans. If it's edible then fish will eat it.

But if you do go down this route please avoid any baits that AshbyCut can make a pun out of :Chuckle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just remember some particles must be cooked before use!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Your obviously trying to raisin your game fishing wise, possibly after some fruitless sessions. Apparently, rum soaked raisins threaded on cotton are a traditional bait for bagging pheasants. Might I suggest using them in combination with sweetcorn! I will give them a try myself for river bream.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Yous are raisin the roofs with your wit from your mooths,
It cheers me today in a most fruitful way,
So I will buy me a batch,of that fruit that will catch,
I thank yous today,your ideas are amazing,it's great to hear yous all praising the raisin.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Ian wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:37 pm Yous are raisin the roofs with your wit from your mooths,
It cheers me today in a most fruitful way,
So I will buy me a batch,of that fruit that will catch,
I thank yous today,your ideas are amazing,it's great to hear yous all praising the raisin.
That's very nearly a poem Ian. :Ok:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Orange you glad there's no second verse. One is quite apple. :tea:

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”