Cheese Paste

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Cheese Paste

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I had a go at making a cheese paste for the first time today. The ingredients I used were:

8 slices of sliced white bread with the crust cut off
215g blue cheese
3 tea spoons skimmed milk powder
3 tea spoons garlic pure
3 tea spoons krill powder
pinch of salt
a knob of margarine to bind

It definitely smells strong and it looks okay. Fingers crossed it works.

Anyone else want to share what ingredients they use or any paste fishing tips?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Cheese Paste

Post by Mark »

I just use 150g of Danish Blue and 150g of Filo Pastry with a knob of Flora Light and add plain flour till the mix is right.

The one you are using MD is like Mark Erwin's from YouTube. I tried this and caught but the smell of the garlic was just to strong for me.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Sounds great. The real secret is to put it in sealed plastic bag and let it mature but to do this you have to leave it out of the fridge. It's a living thing and will get extra smelly and full of fish attracting chemicals derived from digested milk!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I wouldn't add margarine Jack as it will stiffen in cold water. That's why we rend not to use neat cheese in the winter as it goes hard and will not allow the hook to strike through. Unless you use a hair rig of course.

Mixing it with bread is traditional but takes a lot of kneading to make a smooth mix (lumps in the mix will again, impede striking) and for those with arthritic hands, is a chore. I go the shop bought pastry mix route like Mark. Rolled flat to about 3mm thick. Add an equal weight of cheese to the pastry. I add three parts cheddar to one part blue as well as a bit of blue cheese flavouring. At this stage you can get creative and add any other goodies like your krill, garlic or anything else. Marmite, bovril, various flavours, bananas has been mentioned on here before, fish paste..... just open the fridge or pantry door and grab something. Chub will eat anything.

But I am more certain your mix will work Jack. Show us the pictures of your results .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Oils can be used - some solidify some do not! Leave a bottle of Olive oil in the cold and see what happens. However there are other oils for humans that retain their fluidity, sesame, almond, walnut, hemp, etc. All can be carriers of scent/flavours, etc

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Glycerin will help keep your paste soft too.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Left over cheese, cheep white bread with the crusts cut off, roughly equal amounts of each and then a tiny bit of olive oil, it goes through my Mr Magic blender and makes a nice paste. Left somewhere warm over night and it gets a bit ripe but the fish like it. Whilst other people have mentioned using pastry I've used Atrixo suet and cheese together....

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

Vodka can be added, alcohol doesn't harden in cold water

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think if I made that I'd eat it!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

JW1
Grayling

Post by JW1 »

There is a clip on Youtube under Amateur Angling (bread paste for fishing)where the guy allows white bread to dry out and then it breaks up to powder. It looks really good, I havent tried it yet as the bread I used took nearly a week to dry out. It did powder easily when dry, just got to get some cheese and then give a go on my next outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETz1hh51beE

JW

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”