Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Slumption
Bleak

Re: Home made groundbait, layers mash/vitalin

Post by Slumption »

Shimano wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:24 am I use Vitalin with any old pellets, old boilies, curry powder, coriander,which I put through a blender and then add pigeon conditioner I have found to be an excellent mix on a method feeder. swing tip on a fibre glass rod
Are you grinding up uncooked pigeon conditioner? The stuff I have has a real nice aniseed smell, it comes loose from a pet shop near me.

Another vote for curry power although I've only ever used it on my maggots or luncheon meat. I also use turmeric or custard powder again in my maggots.

Did you make your swing tips? I have an old travel avon that has the old style screw thread end ring. The quiver tip that came with it is crap but the rode would take a threaded swing tip, finding one is another story.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Slumption wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:21 pm
Did you make your swing tips? I have an old travel avon that has the old style screw thread end ring. The quiver tip that came with it is crap but the rode would take a threaded swing tip, finding one is another story.
Metal Mickey (Mike Traynor) on the Bay does really good ones based on the original Fred Foster design. see here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fishing-Origi ... SwwpdW75bv
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

Hi
Yes I make all my swing tips from catering cane from the super market, and yes I do use pigeon conditioner dry as well as soaked. When dry it does work in the swim well and bubbles a lot more attracting the fish. If I do use dry I always put through the blender first. You will notice that the bubbles are very similar to the Tench feeding in the swim.

Do you have any swing tips at all if not I will send you a couple and see what you think no charge of course

Pete

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

Sorry I needed to mention some time ago I purchased ground bait mix and it was laden with curry powder and after I purchased it I was reluctant to use it.
I had run out of my normal mix and as it was with me I decided to try it and the swim went mad with bites and Tench and Bream were one after the other.I have been using similar ever since. I mix it in Vitalin through the blender with Coriander the aroma is strong and you don't seem to have many other anglers sitting by you but the fishing is great.

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

Vitalin is in a yellow bag and it is really a dog food

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Interesting about the curry flavoured ground bait, I will give it a go. I swear by curry flavoured maggots and always flavour mine unless I am fishing for eels.

When I target bream I've always mixed in a sweet flavour to my ground bait. Either Scopex, Van Eyde Brasem additive (which is actually some kind of cake mix), strawberry Angel Delight, Rolf vanilla milk pudding powder or molasses from Holland and Barrett mixed into warm water....

Picture of the Rolf power is attached, I would think the Eastern European shops sell it. We often get it in food parcels from Germany, it adds a bit of cloudyness to the mix.

RE swing tips, no I don't have any at all. Last time I owned one was when Shakespeare sold a kit that had a quiver, spring and swing tip all in a small wallet. It was an add on for rods with the threaded tip and I'd have bought it mid 80's. No idea where it went, it must be with a rod I'd sold. I also had the little target board you use with a rod rest as it was free on the Anglers Mail.

I think I just need one swing tip that is suitable for legering a 25g cage feeder at a maximum of 5 rod lengths out, thats all I used as neither of the rivers I fish is very wide and are slow flowing. I'm happy to pay for one / pay postage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Just ordered a swing tip from Metal Mickey on ebay, I'd be happy to buy a cane one from you though.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I believe Ivan Marks swore by adding sugar to ground bait.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

If you swap the layers mash for sow meal you will obtain a greater clouding effect in the water.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Bread mix
12 slice of white bread with crusts
Quarter of a brown tin loaf with outer crust removed
6 mcvities fruit shorty biscuits including the fruit pieces
Juice from a tin of corn+a few kernels

Hemp for loose feed
Hemp 1pint
Chilli powder
Strawberry flavouring
Fine rolled oats
Sugar
Method
Simmer a pint of hemp with 1tsp of chilli and 2tbls of sugar
When ready remove from heat and allow to go cold(keep in the remaining water)
Add 1tsp of strawberry flavouring and a handful of fine rolled oats
Add more water to compensate oats
The water should look milky and it should smell like strawberry ice cream.loose fed with maggots,the roach love it.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”