Pigeon Conditioner used as an alternative to crushed or ground hemp?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Slumption
Bleak

Pigeon Conditioner used as an alternative to crushed or ground hemp?

Post by Slumption »

Hi All,
I've had great success with roasted ground hemp mixed with liquidised bread for skimmer fishing. I have a big sack of pigeon conditioner so wondered if anyone knows if its safe or possible to prepare it in a similar manner to crushed hemp?

Rather than boiling it up I was going to try roasting it in a baking tray then grind it down to give nice flakes, it should then add some a ansieed smell to my liquidised bread and add some flakes without being as filling as if used whole. I'm only thinking of adding maybe half a cup to a large bucket of liquidised bread.

Paul

Shimano
Minnow

Re: Pigeon Conditioner used as an alternative to crushed or ground hemp?

Post by Shimano »

Hi,
I use pigeon conditioner when I go carping or my favourite fishing is for Tench,I used to race pigeons, the best conditioner is with aniseed already mixed in. I find soaking for 24 hours before you go is a brilliant way to use and then either mix with a ground bait mix or spod in. What you don't use freezes down well. I normally pay £1 per kilo which is good value. I have found with lake fishing it does tend to hold the fish better, my best day in 2016 was 23 Tench between 5.5lb to 7lb in one session all on a swing tip, fibre glass rod, I have had many an excellent day fishing this way.

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

Hi,
I use pigeon conditioner when I go carping or my favourite fishing is for Tench,I used to race pigeons, the best conditioner is with aniseed already mixed in. I find soaking for 24 hours before you go is a brilliant way to use and then either mix with a ground bait mix or spod in. What you don't use freezes down well. I normally pay £1 per kilo which is good value. I have found with lake fishing it does tend to hold the fish better, my best day in 2016 was 23 Tench between 5.5lb to 7lb in one session all on a swing tip, fibre glass rod, I have had many an excellent day fishing this way.

Slumption
Bleak

Post by Slumption »

Hi Shimano,
Yep I've used it soaked, normally I boil it for 20 mins then leave it over night and I add molasses to the water when I take it off the heat. Then its either loose fed with corn/hemp or added in to my ground bait and usually as I'm fishing for tench.

However what I was trying to work out was it if was as oily as hemp and can be roasted then ground? It would had a nice aniseed smell to my liquidised bread.

Shimano
Minnow

Post by Shimano »

No it is not oily I have found the Wheat content, Mung Bean content seems to make it a bit sticky if anything. I have also put it through my blender (dry) and what seems to happen when put in the swim with ground bait the swim and area where you have put it seem to bubble a lot more. The Safflower and Buck wheat rises and falls, where you have put it a bit like fizz in a drink rising and falling from the top down and the bottom up.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”