Long Storing Cheese

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Davejass
Rudd

Long Storing Cheese

Post by Davejass »

I am sure this has been covered before but can't find it!
I bought a lot of small pieces of cheese from a supermarket that were being sold as they were out of date. I probably won't use them until next March or early April. I have put them in the freezer since then but wondered if this was the best place as cheese is normally kept in a cool place rather than frozen as this can affect the flavour.
How do you keep your cheese long term please?
Your remarks would be appreciated!
Dave@ Hastings

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Long Storing Cheese

Post by Dave Burr »

No problem with freezing it Davejass, I've frozen, thawed and refrozen cheese paste and cheese and it has shown no ill effect.

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

As my honorable friend says, there isn't a problem with freezing cheese off cuts. In fact there are two benefits from doing so.
No nasty smells to offend the more sensitive house dwellers and the process of freezing breaks down the molecules making it break down into a crumb without need for grating fiddly bits.
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I always freeze any cheese - for the reason Richard has written above! It really helps to make a viable paste for the hook.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

We freeze cheese all the time, when you defrost it, it is more crumbly and can taste even stronger than when you put it in.

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

I normally find that it's often best to grate the cheese first before freezing,

When it's time to defrost, it generally defrost's a lot quicker and can then be kneaded back into a paste again,

I also used to mix a very small amount of boily mix and some margarine in with the mix to give it that nice texture just prior to fishing :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There is a long thread on "Cheese Paste Varieties" here!! Well worth a read if you haven't already.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”