Silkweed

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Silkweed

Post by Dave Burr »

Tengisgol wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:39 am I've had roach literally bang the rod top over at distance when trotting bread on the Avon. They can be very violent biters.

As for silkweed as a bait, it always struck me as something that old angling writers may have used to fill pages as opposed to being a killer bait...give me a gentle, worm or bread any day! (or even better in 2017, hemp and caster!)
Go and fish a weir pool in August Phil, it's a wonder bait when used in the right place at the right time. Bear in mind that as a kid in the 60's I could only managed 3d worth of maggots and a 3 or 4 slices of bread for a trip. Adults too were frugal with their bait except one chap who drove a bread delivery van (he had some fabulous catches after a few loaves went in), so a free bait that caught big fish was a godsend.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

despite being raised on books advocating the use of silk weed for roach, I can't confess to ever trying it. I can confess to catching a lot of pike on it using it like a lure though. It has a lovely pulsating action just like a massive marabou type trout lure.

Silk weed has brightened many a dull afternoons sport when other species haven't wanted to play.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Thanks for the tip Dave.
Regards Shropshire Lad

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Oddly I just watched a repeat of "monster carp" . Takings break from carping the three presenters fished a river in Croatia and used silkweed as bait . They did rather well too catching a fair few roach .
John

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”